Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone video email limit

Hi. I do not see any discussions on this topic other than Archived discussions so I cannot reply to them (and they were unsolved).

I have noticed for awhile now that the iPhone really stinks at emailing videos...the video clips must be under 60 seconds and typically the largest file I've been able to send is 7MB.

Since Yahoo and Google (both loved by Apple especially in the Email design of iOS) both have 25MB email limits, why are we being denied to send files larger than 7MB/60 seconds?! These 25MB limits have been in place for quite some time now. I understand that some non-web-mail providers only have 10MB or 15MB limits, but 7MB limitation is the dark ages! Surely Apple could whip up some code to allow sending larger files to email accounts. Here is a comparison of webmail providers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_webmail_providers

Am I overlooking some setting somewhere? Or should I jailbreak my phone/touch? I cannot copy the file to my computer and then email it as the file size is 10x larger than what Apple compresses it to. Sure, I could buy my own software and compress it, but that's a big workaround for a $400 iPhone and $300 Touch.

It's extremely frustrating to take a 1-2 minute video clip of your child playing and then cannot send it via email.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 7:35 AM

11 replies

Dec 21, 2011 10:10 AM in response to wjosten

You are incorrect. The email APPLICATION chooses how large of an attachment it will allow you "SEND" and then passes that information to the mail servers which in turn can accept or reject the attempted "send". Lastly, the destination mail servers may accept or reject the email. So it's basically a 3 tiered process...the application, the sender's mail system, the addressee's mail system.

Dec 21, 2011 10:31 AM in response to ericinboston

No, you're not overlooking anything. There are some apps that allow you to attach longer video files on the App Store (none that I actually use, but a quick search turned up Video Email). Although, an even better way would be to use a file sharing service like Dropbox, and email a link to the video; that way, you don't even have to worry about the attachment size limit.

May 10, 2012 3:04 PM in response to ericinboston

spookmag

the file size has nothing to do with it according to apple advisor I spoke to at support. We has concluded that the iOS4 limits video clips that can emailed to 54 seconds long. No matter the size of the file. take a 720p video and and export your imovie at the highest quality then try to email it. Mail will trim the clip to 54 seconds every time regardless of file size or length. As long as your video is 54 seconds or shorter, mail will not ask you to cut the video down to be emailed or sent to mobile me. the guy I spoke to at apple support has sent a letter to apple engineers about this issue and is going to call me back in a few days about it so I will post whatever answers I get. I emailed myself a video done with imovie app and it was 107mb but was exactly 53 seconds long, and it went through without asking me to cut it. I went back and changed one transition to 2 seconds longer making the video 55 seconds and it had to be cut. After cutting the video and emailing it to myself it showed up as 54 seconds long and 105 MB.

May 19, 2012 8:50 AM in response to Lark.Landon

Thanks for checking this out, I have the same issues. I hope apple engineers will increase the limits on the video clips so we can allowed to email at least more than 2 minutes clips.

I actually used DropBox app in my 3GS iphone, and it allowed me to upload my video clips taken with my 3GS camera, a couple of those clips were almost 3 minutes long. Although it took a while for DropBox to prepare the files for uploading (took several minutes), and several more minutes to actually upload it into my DropBox account to share with family, it worked.

Now I'm about to share those files with my family and I'll see if they can access it fine. I think if I can upload it, I should be able to share it.

Jun 6, 2015 5:56 AM in response to Shiroyuki-hime

Lots of ignorance on these apple forums. Per usually people act like religious fanatics and treat you like a heretic if you try to think outside the Apple box. I tried asking about jb once and was treated pretty poorly and told a bunch of information that turned out to be completely untrue.

Two ways I know of to send larger videos. Gmail has a filesize limit of 25mb so that's your actual size limit, but apple email client won't let you send anything longer than 52 seconds or larger than 15mb(i think). However you can use video compressor (by Jin jeon) to compress to 25mb which usually still looks good and then

use Joya video app which allows larger attachments

Or if you're jailbroken use ifile (also allows you to see file system which is wonderful) to send any kind of file.

Hope this helps

iphone video email limit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.