I'm creating a photobook and i want the edges of the pictures that are on top of other pictures or black background to be blurred. How would I do this?
Yes, I'm a novice.
I do not know of any option in Aperture that could do this.
Maybe one of the photobook plug-ins has such an option.
You can try to edit the edges of your images and make them transparent in an external editor like Photoshop.
- For this to work, e.g. in Photoshop, set the format for the external editor to "psd".
- Open your image with Photoshop as external editor.
- Then create a new, empty image with the same dimensions as your original image and set the background to "transparent".
- Then select all of your image to be edited and past it onto the transparent backdrop in the new image.
- In the new image again select all of the image, then go to the selection menu -> border and add a border of at least 10 pixels.
- Again in the "selection" menu set "invert selection". Now your border shuold be selected.
- Go "Selection"-> "Modify Selection" -> "Soft border". Set the border to a high value, e.g. 30.
- Now clear the border "Edit" -> "clear"
By now your image should have a soft, blurred, transparent border.
Save the image.
In Aperture you now should see a version of your image with a blurred border. Add it to your book. I tried this with Photoshop CS5.
The image below shows two versions of the same image: to the left theoriginal, to the right a version with the lower border made transparent like described above.