Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually add songs to iPhone with iTunes Match

I can completely clear my iphone of music. Then download all my 50 GB of music from the cloud. I believe it makes sense to transfer it via usb instead, but keep the icloud/itunes match option open from then on for future albums.

Can it be done? Recommendations? Your experiences?

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 11:12 AM

When you turn match on in your phone the music that you already have on your phone will stay and the other stuff in match will show up. If you pick to sync with match from your phone, you will not be able to manual manage your music from itunes after that. It's either one or the other.

9 replies

Dec 21, 2011 11:59 AM in response to carltonfrombedford

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, it is what I noticed. And since some songs will simply refuse to download from iTunes Match (this may get fixed one day hopefully) I can only switch iTunes Match OFF on the iPhone, then transfer them via USB cable, and then turn it back ON. The only thing is, some weird activity happens with the covers going crazy, lots of network activity, etc.

Dec 21, 2011 1:27 PM in response to carltonfrombedford

It's even more strange. One is from a ripped CD. Only one of the songs. And the other is Bubbly by Colbie, which is purchased from itms. This one shows 'downloaded' when i go to my purchased items, so I

1. cannot re-download it

2. and cannot download it from my itunes match.

i'm not going to turn it off now on my newly setup iphone, just to copy it there from my mac. i like this itunes match. so great. only if it worked 100%

Feb 28, 2012 8:45 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

I understand that is how the system is currently configured to work. I simply protest that there is no physical, technical or marketing reason to prevent the user (consumer) from managing the content in the manner I suggest.

It is vastly more efficient to download a file from the computer to the iPhone using a USB connection when possible. Allowing the flexibility of accessing any and all files from the iCloud WHEN such access is available is a wonderful benefit but again, there is no reason to force one or the other option.

Aug 14, 2012 3:25 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

I think Apple has to comply with the reality; lately this company I adore is gettin on too much new things way before they work as it's supposed to.

Itunes match is great if I can download my songs on the go, it's a nightmare when I have to add new songs.

Why can't I manage them manually?

Why am I forced to spend money to upload them and again spend money to downolad them when I can use a cheap usb cable?

Apple stop you run and come back to do simple things that seamlessy works, that's what you're famous for; not the "200 new functions" a year that nobody is able to let work...

Manually add songs to iPhone with iTunes Match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.