Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CDMA Iphone 4S and UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA?

Quick question, if I purchase an off contract Verizon iPhone 4S and get it SIM unlocked from verizon, does this phone support the UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) bands? My understanding is that it does support the GSM/EDGE bands, but I'm a little unclear if it does the other ones or not.

My plan is to purchase it off contract and have the option of using it on Verizon or AT&T's 3G networks if needed. (Not at the same time)

Does the AT&T and Unlocked 4S only support the UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) bands?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:08 AM

3 replies

Dec 21, 2011 10:12 AM in response to MrEricM

Verizon does not unlock iPhones, even when off contract. The SIM socket and GSM support are for international roaming only. If you want to use an iPhone with GSM carriers, you need to purchase an unlocked GSM version (AT&T doesn't unlock iPhones either).

The GSM frequencies and standards the iPhone 4S supports can be found in the tech specs:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Regards.

CDMA Iphone 4S and UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.