Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Multiple Fails and Bugs, Apple Clueless

Safari under Lion is the most failure prone browser EVER. Why has Apple not addressed its many problems?

APPLE, when are you going to FIX SAFARI and the MANY PROBLEMS with LION? Some of us work on these computers for a living.

I use 3 Apple computers, all running Lion, all exhibiting the same failures every day.

1. Pages stop working.

Just stop working. Can't continue, nothing works. Only fix is a forced restart. This is REALLY ***** when you

are in the middle of writing long articles or comments or filling out forms, having to start over and over

as the page just stops working. This is happening with GREATER FREQUENCY and not one

update has addressed these issues.

2. If you are looking at a particular page, enter a new URL, hit return, the progress bar shows the page loading

and NOTHING CHANGES, the old page just sits there like you did nothing. Restart. New pages do not load.

3. Blank pages. Address in the lst update, but does not fix the problem.

4. Loading some pages (not flash related) heats up the whole computer.

5. SCROLLING FAIL.....scrolling pages becomes impossible, just stops.

6. Pages.weird double type. A page loads with type on type, like it has loaded two copies of the same page on top of one another. Is very weird and requires a force restart to correct.

Listen, I have never had a more troubled and frustrating experience using a browser. In that this problem happens across all my computers, I know it is not me.

LION itself has so many bugs. The Finder experience is very junky. The removal of the view button creates real frustration with window views.

There is the new thing where the ROOT DIRECTORY in list view has column that canbnot be changed, file folders mising the radio button and other sloppy crap crap crap views.

SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING, ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS, going BACK to SNOW LEOPARD.

LION so far has some nice features, trashed a bunch of useful features that no longer exist and is very BUGGY and Apple sits on its *** and seems to do nothing, as in nothing.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), i7, 8gb ram

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:29 AM

6 replies

Dec 21, 2011 11:25 AM in response to AICAP Group

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account, or is system-wide. Enable guest logins and log in as Guest. For instructions, launch the System Preferences application, select “Help” from the menu bar, and enter “Set up a guest account” (without the quotes) in the search box.

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Any application you run will behave as if you were running it for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

As Guest, launch the application(s) and test. Same problem(s)?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

Dec 22, 2011 7:01 AM in response to AICAP Group

I have been having similar problems (no scrolling, sluggish, force reloads etc) on 4 recent Macs, MBAir, MBPro and iMacs all runing up to date Lion software since the latest Safari update. In regard to the above solution since the original poster said it happened on multiple computers creating a guest account on one likely isn't going to be helpful. Since this latest update I feel like I'm using a computer from 2001 not the 2.4 GHz i7 with 16 GB of RAM I am using. I often have many windows and tabs but I have been doing this for years with no such issues until this latest update.

I think the issue is Safari my version is Version 5.1.2 (7534.52.7)

Dec 22, 2011 7:12 AM in response to Lisa O

In regard to the above solution since the original poster said it happened on multiple computers creating a guest account on one likely isn't going to be helpful.

That's incorrect. If you have something to contribute to solving the original poster's problem, please do so. Otherwise I suggest you start your own topic to address your problem.

Jan 4, 2012 8:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

I would like to say that you have something there. I was having some issues with Safari 5.1.2 as well, on 2 different iMac computers that weren't even on the same network. Now I'm no tech guru, but luckily, I hang out here a lot, so I was able to try a few things. One of those was to disable, and/ or uninstall extensions(I just un-installed them all) and try it again to see what would happen. Sure enough, one or two of the extensions I had installed was causing the problem! I then went to the other iMac I use at work and proceeded to uninstall those same extensions. It seems to me that by creating a guest account, it would prohibit certain items from being changed, like Safari preferences, toolbar customization, extensions installed, etc. I'll have to remember your diagnosis if I have any more troubles.

Safari Multiple Fails and Bugs, Apple Clueless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.