Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery exploding

My iPhone 3GS's battery just expanded yesterday pushing the glass out of the case and bending the logic board. I't completely shot. My Kids were using it as an ipod. This is very disturbing. Had my kids been holding it at the time, if the packaging broke open they could have been seriously hurt. I'm very disappointed. Especially since I found a number of posts around the same time as my battery goes, several other 3GS owners are having the same issue.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:34 AM

5 replies

Dec 24, 2011 5:33 AM in response to smckevitt

Mine did the same yesterday and as I dont have apple support i can't get through to any technical staff. It seems to still be expanding and I'm concerned this is dangerous, is there anything toxic in the battery I need to be aware of? I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant and could do without the stress of this...especially as I now dont have a working phone.

I dont have an apple store in my city and can't get around anywhere at the moment, or for the forseeable future with my baby due to arrive any time now i'm reluctant to leave my house let alone my city.

I'm furious about this after emailing apple support with my concerns and getting an automatic response back which was of no use at all. I should be charging apple for my time trying to find how to get to the bottom of this considering these are not cheap devices.

Dec 29, 2011 9:47 PM in response to smckevitt

Mine did the same! This is crazy...has to have something to do with the OS5... I left mine in a Sony stereo dock charging and the next time i went to get it I realized that the back panel had broken and was swollen. Hopefully apple will do something about this. Pretty bad press if everyones 3gs's start blowing up... My phone actually still works and holds a charge for a few hours. At first I thought that it had fallen but soon realized that something internally had burst. Crazy!!

battery exploding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.