Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make startup manager load by default on startup (rather than option key)

I have a macbook pro 13' (late 2010 version) i am running Lion and i have windows 7 proffesional using boot camp.

When i boot up my mac it loads Lion by default.

I understand that to switch between the two i have to hold the option key on startup, i am then prompted for my password, and after entering it i get to the startup manager which displays the startup disks available.

I would like to know if there is a way of getting my mac to run the startup manager (with password) by default when i boot it, rather than choose one of the installed os.

Thanks in advance.

Gaz

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:51 AM

No. However, you can install a third-party bootloader if you're willing to try it: rEFIt.

If you do this then you need to know that Boot Camp Assistant will no longer be able to manage the Windows partition.

1 reply

Make startup manager load by default on startup (rather than option key)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.