Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create, open, export .avi files on a MacBook Air?

I have a new MacBook Air, running 10.7.2. I have both QT 10 and QT 7 Pro installed.

I'd like to be able to convert .mov files to .avi files to share with a friend.

I seem to recall that 'awhile' ago, I could do that; now I can't.

Can someone tell me what I need to do, step by step to be able

to convert a .mov file to an avi file. I'd need to be able to size it, such that

it is small enough to send via email.

Thanks,

Hal

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 2:44 PM

It would have to be a very tiny movie to fit into an e-mail, many of which have 10MB attachment limits. 10 MB is only a few minutes. You would have to split it up into many pieces and your friend would have to be able to re-assemble them.

AVI is an old Windows format and not readily supported on Macs. You can use MPEGStreamclip to save to AVI format but be warned that switching between formats is rarely easy in the video world because of the large number of formats for the audio and video components.

Why doesn't your friend just get Quicktime Player for Windows, or Alternative Quicktime Player?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2011 2:44 PM in response to Halle

It would have to be a very tiny movie to fit into an e-mail, many of which have 10MB attachment limits. 10 MB is only a few minutes. You would have to split it up into many pieces and your friend would have to be able to re-assemble them.

AVI is an old Windows format and not readily supported on Macs. You can use MPEGStreamclip to save to AVI format but be warned that switching between formats is rarely easy in the video world because of the large number of formats for the audio and video components.

Why doesn't your friend just get Quicktime Player for Windows, or Alternative Quicktime Player?

Dec 21, 2011 3:07 PM in response to Limnos

I'm not sure why my friend has to provide the file as a .avi file; just that she does. Alas!

I know that iMovie will output Quicktime to Avi, which will result in about the same size file as

you start with -- there is no scaling options.

And while the .avi file you output from iMovie will open in QT 10, you can on down convert it to QT, not .avi.

I think that Apple has decided for us, as they did with Flash, that we don't need .avi files. Shades of 'Big Brother'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

:-)

Hal

How do I create, open, export .avi files on a MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.