Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is exporting such a hassle?

I made a 7 minute movie in imovie and proceeded to export it. I recieved error messages three times in a row stating that I don't have enough "heap zone." Going onto the support forums, I found the heap zone error is sometimes caused by insificent ram, and I should clear my pram as well. Fair enough, I did so even though my 4 GB ram didn't even come close to maxing during the exporting process. I turn everything back on and the whole project outright dissapears. Now I was irked. I remade the whole thing and then tried exporting it in a "large" format only to get a completely different error that "user parameters are incorrect." Once again I searched and this time nobody had a definitive working answer. In my dispair I exported time and time again. After rebooting it worked, but the audio went out of sync about 3 minuts in. I checked online again (it's been 2 days of this back and forth now) and found that this was a common problem and I should detach the audio from my clips. I do so, but the unsync simply moves 1 minute forward. Now, 3 days after I first tried to export this darn thing I have detahced the audio of the whole video and made numerous makeshift fixes to try and get this darn thing to work. I am not a complete novice at video software troubleshooting, coming from years of moviemaker experience (which is also plagued with problems.) But I switched to imovie largely because I thought I wouldn't have to deal with this kind of crap ever again. The editing process was executed very well, I'm impressed. But the exporting is an absolute nightmare, and frankly almost makes me want to switch back to moviemaker. Does anybody have a clue as to what caused these numerous errors so I can diagnose them if they happen again?

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Base model of 13" macbook air

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 3:13 PM

4 replies

Dec 22, 2011 9:42 PM in response to Kirisoul

It should. You need to understand that SSD drives on the Air are meant to help boost boot time (instant on) and application launch times, but sometimes may hinder write times due to the difference between how a Solid State Drive deals with occupied and recently vacated memory cells as opposed to magnetic media like a hard drive. TRIM, GC (Garbage Collection), DuraWrite etc.. with SandForce controllers are meant to help maintain or restore degraded write speeds, but if you are noticing freezes and stalls, that means you need to allow the OS time to do TRIM and drive if it has GC to do its bidding. While 1Gb of footage isn't much, the way SSD works is that overtime, constant writes and erases which is what a video editing software does can and may slow the write speeds down of the SSD.

On both my PC Vista 64 and my Lion systems, the SSD each system has are used only as boot and application drives with virtual memory provising and use external RAID and FW800 to complement the storage and editing platform. The only exceptions made is my Macbook with the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive and it seemed to be doing ok with SD editing (I use it for iMovie 6HD only now).

Hope this helps.

Why is exporting such a hassle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.