Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing Metadata Questions (is there a limit?)

I am not seeing the metadata I have activated and I'm hoping for a little more help in this.

I am running 3.2.2 and i have gone into View > Metadata display > Customize and I have checked every item in EXIF, IPTC, and Aperture sections for the items to display in the Viewer - Expanded, Grid View - Expanded and List View - Expanded modes. I now see all of these on the right hand side with a little circle and a negative sign

I have checked the "Show Metada Below Image" and "Show Metadata Labels" options for the Viewer and the Grid View modes. I have hit OK after all of these changes.

However, when I go to Browser, Split View or Viewer display modes - and when I /also/ check the pulldown for Metadata to make sure that I have expanded view active (i.e. I see in this pulldown that I have an option to pulldown to "Switch to Basic View") - I am only seeing "version name" in Browser View, and in Split View or Viewer mode I only see Version - File - Date - Path - Color and Depth shown.

I would ideally like to see all of this data so that I can then go into Metadata Display and take off items that don't appear to have the information I need in these views but I can't understand if I am doing something wrong, if I am misunderstanding this or if there is some kind of limit preference that is the default for showing metadata.

TIA for any help.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 5:36 PM

2 replies

Dec 21, 2011 6:05 PM in response to hotwheels22

Hi Jon -- glad you got your Aperture versions all updated 🙂 .

I know you printed and read the User Manual -- you've mentioned this more than once. Now that you have a novice's familiarity with Aperture, you are probably ready to start to really learn the program. Re-reading the User Manual is a great way to teach yourself.

Here is the page on the Metadata Overlays. There you'll find answers to some of your questions.

After re-reading the User Manual pages on Metadate, try everything. One nice feature is that you can't actually do any harm -- you can always re-create whatever Overlays you want. (Changing the Overlays changes no metadata attached to any Image.) Trying things out -- working your way through all the combinations -- is, of course, a great -- perhaps the best -- way to learn.

I'll offer three hints to give you a bit of a jump on this:

• The metadata displayed changes dynamically with the size of the Image(s)
  • Metadata Labels take up screen space that is likely better used for data
  • There are different limits for "Under Image" and "On top of Image".

Good Luck.

Viewing Metadata Questions (is there a limit?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.