Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't screenshare over Verizon Hotspot

My friend recently purchased a new 21.5" iMac and the only internet option where she lives is using a 3G hotspot (Verizon is what she went with). I tried to do a screen share with her from my iMac (on cable internet) and it doesn't seem to go through no matter what we choose. Is the 3G Hotspot just not up to snuff to handle screen share? Has anyone else had this issue? Both iMac's have the latest software updates and running Lion. Thanks for your help,

Chris C.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 9:43 PM

5 replies

Feb 17, 2012 11:03 AM in response to Ccamp11

Are you able to text chat? Is just screen sharing that fails? I have successfully video chatted many times using slower speeds than you posted. iChat gets blocky, but it is good at dynamically adjusting for conditions. However, on a hotspot the speeds change from second to second and if they drop to zero you will lose the chat.

Furthermore Verizon 3G hotspots sometimes choke on particular types of traffic.

It may not be bandwidth at all. I have a problem with iChat, AIM and now Messages Beta sometimes not working over a Verizon 3G hotspot for all chat including text chat. iChat can't even log me into AOL servers.

It is intermittent.

My bandwidth is sufficient. I can watch Netflix fine.

This never happens at a WiFi hotspot or at home.

Yahoo chat is unaffected.

It is Apple and AIM only (which are the same servers).

I have to disconnect and reconnect from the hotspot a few times and suddenly it works.

Best bet for reliable video chatting is a stable landline connection.

Feb 17, 2012 2:55 PM in response to GeorgeSupport6411

Hi,

I would tend to agree with George's post.

Most likely the Hotspot does not allow VNC connections.

It could also be about which ports are open.

In some cases Hotspots deal with incoming and outgoing data on different IPs

iChat will have issue with this.

Try an Audio Only chat first (Much less Bandwidth needs)

Try an Video Chat with the Bandwidth at 200kbps.

Screen Share needs a minimums of 128kbps both up and down.

It also uses a random port with a VNC connection alongside and Audio Only connection (An Audio+ if you like).

Regular Screen Sharing on Macs and on PCs is also over a VNC connection and it may be part of some security thing that they don't allow it.

User uploaded file
10:55 PM Friday; February 17, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Can't screenshare over Verizon Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.