Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some Contact Names not Showing in Calls or SMS (iPhone 4S)

Although it works fine for most my contacts, some fail to show when calling me or sending me SMS on my iPhone 4S with iOS 5.0.1 (9A406)-

Meaning, I just get a "meaningless" number instead of a contact name, and can never tell who called me or sent me a message.

These are contacts that worked just fine in my previous iPhone 4.

Weird things:

1) if I type the number manually in the dialpad, it does show up the name in the small "subtitle" beneath it - meaning it does recognize it as being in the contacts.

2) Even if I add the incoming number to a new contact (or existing o contact, duplicating the already memorized phone number), it still doesn't show up as contact name - just the number as before.

3) Deleting and recreating the contact had no effect.

4) This happens for some contacts but not others, in the same phone operator and similar phone prefixes.

5) Adding/removing the international prefix makes no difference (some "unknown" numbers shows without, other with country code - having both variations in the contact list makes no difference)

This is the kind of really basic stuff one would expect any simple cell phone to handle flawlessly... let alone a high-end device like an iPhone 4S!

I feel like I've got 20 years back in time, to my first motorola cell phone which didn't do this...

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 3:26 AM

25 replies

Dec 25, 2011 5:16 AM in response to ptnik

As you'd might exepect, yesterday - Christmas Eve - I received dozens of calls and SMS... and it was very frustrating not to know who was sending me texts or calling me until after I picked up. I can't believe I'm actually considering ditching the iPhone after so many years... due to this kind of inadmissable basic flaws which even a $10 cheap phone can handle flawlessly! 😟

Dec 30, 2011 6:09 AM in response to ptnik

I ended up calling Verizon and this is what I was told to do so far it's helping.For Verizon try *228 select 1 and follow instructions. And also go to settings go to general go to reset got network system reset it's working fore for now. I heard it was a software glitch and apple is suppose to release a 5.0.2 to repair it.

Jan 2, 2012 4:28 PM in response to ptnik

Hey y'all! I have had the same issue and have tried all the other options on here and still continued to experience the issue. However, i called tech support today and so far the issue has been resolved. Try these steps, hopefully it will work for you guys too:

1) dial *228 (for Verizon users) then press 1.

2) double click the home button and close out all of your recently opened apps.

If you're not a Verizon user, try and find your provider's activation number (i.e. *228)... Good luck.

Some Contact Names not Showing in Calls or SMS (iPhone 4S)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.