Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disc not ejecting

Yet another problem to add to the very long list of Lion problems!

Almost everytime I put a CD or DVD in it's not recognised. Disc utility also does not work. And I have to Restart and hold down mouse button to eject disc.

Is there a cure for this? If not, I'm upgrading to Snow Leopard!

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 4:55 AM

9 replies

Dec 22, 2011 5:29 AM in response to A1ps

Well if you are having an eject problem, it may be indicative of a hardware problem already present.

Is your PRAM battery over 4 years old?

Are you using any system "maintenance" tools such as Onyx, Cocktail, MacKeeper, or Macaroni?

These tools can damage system caches causing system wide failures. Don't use them. The only tool you should have in your arsenal for regular use is a backup tool. All others should only be used on backed up systems and only when a technician says it needs to be used for troubleshooting.

Here's a tip I wrote about ejecting discs.

Dec 22, 2011 6:13 AM in response to A1ps

This sounds bad, and looks like a hardware problem: the optical drive is dying or has already died. Nevertheless, you say this began to happen only after upgrading to Lion, therefore a short time ago. This may suggest a software problem, I wonder how it may have happened.

What do you mean by ‘Disc utility also does not work’? What did you try to do and did not work?

Dec 22, 2011 6:38 AM in response to Cattus Thraex

LOL! When I installed Lion I lost all my mobileme calendar and contact entries.

Thankfully I'd backed up from SL. But it wouldn't allow me to bring the backup into SL. Even an Apple Genius couldn't figure out the problem. In the end, after hours of trial and error methods I managed to get my entries back in.

TBH, Lion has so many glitches it really would be better off going back to SL 🙂

But thanks for the advice Cattus Thraex 😀

What would be the best way to re-install either Lion or SL?

Dec 22, 2011 7:00 AM in response to A1ps

I have been with Lion from the beginning, not because I particularly like it, but because I do know Apple is not going to support SL any more. Secondly, my 2007 MB is as fast with Lion as is with SL. Thirdly, some features are better, e.g. a better support for one multi at our university.

Cannot reproduce problems you mentioned. Besides, backuping data is a must when you install any OS, so—

I would do an erase-and-install of Lion (erase the internal disk, of course after a good backup of all data), and reinstall Lion from the scratch. I am sure you will have a good and running system.

Disc not ejecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.