Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes truncates file names to 36 characters

iTunes truncates (cuts, shortens, abbreviates,corrupts) file names - I have version 10.5.

When importing mp3 files iTunes automatically truncates file names to 36 characters which is totally unacceptable - this is corruption of files! Searching Apple support forum I noticed that identical problem is pestering some users for years, but Apple has not yet offered any clear solution. Lately I wanted to digitize my collection of classical music and import several classical CDs. Clasicall music has typically very long, complex titles of parts of composition, so that truncating file names at 36 characters erases the most vital information which is always at the end of long title. Does that mean that I cannot use iTunes for classical music!?!?

I wonder how can such an important program failure persist for so long without any reasonable solution?

Windows 7, iTunes corrupts file names

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 5:01 AM

This is a user to user forum, if you want to make your views know to Apple, you can use the iTunes feedback option on the iTunes help menu.

9 replies

Dec 22, 2011 5:13 AM in response to perli26

The limit is 40 characters including extension for both file & folder names. The Windows API calls that iTunes uses will be limited to 256 characters so at a guess the limit was introduced in the initial version of iTunes for Windows as a way of ensuring that consistent names could be used without the likelihood of exceeding the limitations of Windows. The limit has no practical issues for properly tagged files accessed via an application, since these will process the full information stored in track name, artist, album fields etc, not the file path. If you let iTunes organize your files and folders then you let it choose the organization schema. If you're not happy with the way iTunes does it, disable those options and organize your media the way you want.

If your long named files are without tags, but in a sensibly organised <Album>\<Album Artist>\## <Name>[ - <Artist>] layout then my script TagFromFilename can be used to read tag data from the path and update iTunes accordingly, though this is only any use if you have first prevented the files from being reorganized as they are imported to iTunes. Alternatively MediaMonkey has some useful tools for manipulating paths and tags. iTunes doesn't cope well with files that are moved or updated via third party software so ideally you should do any tidying up before importing the tracks to iTunes.

See also this recent thread regarding classical music.

tt2

Dec 22, 2011 10:16 PM in response to turingtest2

Reply to turingtest2. Thanks, it's helpful to see that there are alternative opitions, but they'll take some time to digest and these are not not easy solutions - I am not a coder. My library is not small so repairng existing files manually or even re-importing them again would be impossible in practical terms. At the moment I have a great collection of classical music that I don't even want to import because I see that the files names would be corrupted. I am looking for systemic solutions. I came across third party software called rinsemymusic with the promise that they can repaire automatically the names in the whole iTunes library; but then again, if 36 or 40 with the tags is the limit, what good it would do? And I am reluctant to use such third part software. But discussion is good, your pointers were helpful and I'll try to persist in this question. I like iTunes (although on windows OS, I use both ipod and ipad2 and if there were no silly idiosyncrasies of these kind I might even migrate to Mac) and I want to find a solution.

Dec 23, 2011 1:24 AM in response to perli26

Use Edit > Preferences > Advanced and turn off the options Keep iTunes Media folder organised and Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library. Your existing filenames will now be left alone.

I've not looked at Rinse, but having invested quite some time in organising my own library I know the issues are not trivial. See my article on Grouping tracks into albums for example. As I said before, applications such as iTunes should be making use of tags embedded in the files, so the actual filenames shouldn't be important in the long run. The exeptions are for untagged files or files in .wav format that won't take a tag. In either case my TagFromFilename script can be used to update iTunes with information extracted from the filepath, assuming that files are in the form <Album>\<Album Artist>\## <Name>[ - <Artist>]. If you have previously used some other naming scheme for your files then I'd be happy to create a modified version of the script.

tt2

Jan 29, 2012 12:42 PM in response to perli26

I'm sorry to say, that I don't think this has anything to do with the Windows operating system whatsoever.

Years ago I imported all my CDs into iTunes, and all new CDs and Apple Store purchases has been placed on the same network storage. And it has been working without problems.

But recently - I'm not sure when, but sometime within the last 2-3 months - iTunes started saying, that it couldn't find a file selected from my library and it offers me to locate the file.

And mind you - the file locations was originally created by iTunes during the import, but now it looks in folders with truncated names - not he ones it originally created.

The files are still in the originally (by iTunes) created folders, though.

I made some experiments by adding the (original) folder to iTunes again. Then of course it is added to my library - but now in a folder with truncted name. And any long filenames within the folder are truncated as well.

I didn't make any changes to my iTunes setup, which is set to "Keep iTunes Media folder organised".

The only changes are iTunes updates. And I'm running a Windows XP SP3 system.

But something comes to mind: For some time I got an error when logging in - an error about "sqlite3.dll not found". This was actually related to Apple products being installed and the location of that file. The solution to the problem was copying the sqlite3.dll file to the correct location.

If this is a file related to iTunes database handling, maybe this is the problem???

Anyway - it is very annoying .....

itunes truncates file names to 36 characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.