Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

modem/router/hard drive in one unit ?

hi all, is there in fact such a gadget ?, a modem, a router and a 3tb hard drive (for time machine) all in one box ? all wireless !

i am currently using a wireless Virgin Media Router/modem with a wireless western digital "my book live" and the performance of the hard drive is awful.

I was hoping that Apple produced a Box containg all these bits in one superfast gadget ?

must be in one box, and compatible with my Cable internet connection, better still also compatible with a BT ADSL connection

does it exsist ?

Tim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iPad 2, iPhone 4S

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 5:55 AM

I was hoping that Apple produced a Box containg all these bits in one superfast gadget ? does it exsist ?

Not from Apple or any other vendor that I am aware of.

9 replies

Dec 22, 2011 7:36 AM in response to Cattus Thraex

Time Capsule works just fine as a router with three LAN ethernet ports, a single WAN input, a dual band wireless network and a 3 TB drive that can also be partioned for Time Machine backups and a seperate partition for files. As far as the term "modem", that is simply a device to convert signals from cable systems, DSL systems or even Plain Old Telephone signals to an ethernet format for distribution to a router or a switcher. Modems are usually supplied by the distribution system (cable TV, DSL, satellite, etc) so there is not a universal modem available and the provider usually narrows the reception/decoding down to a single MAC (Media Access Control) number unique to every device.

You can take a LAN signal from the Virgin Media modem to feed a Time Capsule and go from there as a seperate network. I just had DSL service installed but Century Link only supplies a wireless router/modem combination but it has no way to connect to any kind of backup HD. The technician was surprised that Apple offered a HD in a wireless router.

Dec 22, 2011 10:46 AM in response to catmandu1

’Time Capsule works just fine as a router with three LAN ethernet ports, a single WAN input, a dual band wireless network and a 3 TB drive that can also be partioned for Time Machine backups and a seperate partition for files.’

Did I say it doesn’t? My Apple Extreme also does that with an external drive attached to it via a USB hub, as there are also two printers attached to it. Apple did a bad thing to have only one USB port on this machine, at least two would be fine, three still better, four – perfect. There is enough room for that in the rear side of it.

Dec 22, 2011 11:34 AM in response to Cattus Thraex

Your original post: "If you delete word ‘router’, the answer is yes. If you add it, I am afraid the answer is no, but may be an idea, even if rather late, modems have vanished rather than have been added to macs or PCs."

I think you meant "delete the word 'modem'" rather than router so I had to point out that it works fine as a 3 port ROUTER and does not function as a MODEM (modulator/demodulator) for systems such as cable TV/internet, DSL or satellite.

The single USB port works fine with a powered hub, even a cheap one. I have 3, sometimes 4 printers attached along with a Seagate 500 MB drive, all available wirelessly. So a single USB can work, the limitation being amount of power supplied to devices depending on USB power.

Several of us around the globe have made a business out of repairing Time Capsules (mostly the power supplies), so I think I am familiar with these and routers in general.

Dec 22, 2011 11:48 AM in response to timmy toad

Right now hard drive prices are increasing due to flooding in Thailand, source of a majority of drives, but used drives are a possibility. Also, for Time Machine backups, my experience tells me that a 7200 RPM drive is not really necessary and a 5400 RPM works just as well FOR BACKUPS in the background.

Opening an out of warranty Time Capsule and exchanging the HD is really a simple matter: http://applefritter.com/node/23907 Three Terabytes! That is a lot of storage, more than most businesses need! Here at home, we have 3 or 4 machines backing up to a 1 TB drive and it is about half full. At this time 2 TB is Apple's smallest offering in new TC's.

modem/router/hard drive in one unit ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.