Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch screen is not responding properly

My iphone just started acting crazy today and I have reset it a couple of times and still the problem persists. It's as if the touch signals that are sent to the phone have nothing to do with what I'm actually doing. For example at times it can be impossible to power off or close applications. I may touch the dead center of the screen and the phone may be behave as though I touched an upper right or lower left corner. Sometimes the interface is also sluggish...

What can I do short of restoring the whole phone?

Are there any iPhone viruses? I'd say it's behaving as though there is a virus!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 6:10 AM

19 replies

Dec 22, 2011 6:17 AM in response to brsm1990

It's really quite a bit worse than I originally described. I'm trying to double tap the home button and then close some programs by holding them until they get the X above. I may hold an icon and instead of an X appearing above the task bar closes and another icon way at the TOP of the screen will launch. Makes NO sense. It's not a question of pressure - I tried touching lightly and hard. This is _infuriating_. Never happened before, my phone is less than a year old and I've kept it in the otter box the whole time with no trouble.

Dec 22, 2011 6:25 AM in response to brsm1990

If you have tried power off/on, reset by holding the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears and it restarts, and still get this behavior, the only viable solution is an Apple store. There are no virus that infect the iPhone and cause this behavior.

And the screen is not pressure sensitive, it depends on a change in the capacitance of the screen due to contact with the skin...so hard taping and hard pressure have no effect.

The behavior of trying to close apps makes it sound like there is a fault in the screen or its connecting circuitry.

None of which really helps your situation if you are not able to visit an Apple store.

Dec 22, 2011 7:02 AM in response to brsm1990

The screen protector folks claim they do not interfere with the functionality of the screen. But now with that piece of info, can you easily remove the screen and try without it in place, or does that create additional problems?

A thick screen may work with some people and not others, or even work for a while and not work on occasion. Depends on the individual's skin, moisture, and other factors. If you can try without the screen protector and it works fine, then you have the solution.

If it makes no difference, then it is probably a hardware problem and needs the care of the geniuses.

Dec 22, 2011 7:24 AM in response to brsm1990

Maybe the screen and cover got a little loose? Little gap? Traveling maybe your body chemistry changed just enough to change the concudtivity of your skin? These things are relatively sensitive so could be a myriad of things that all stacked up at the same time.

If it is working fine now, at least you knwo a solution and that is the important thing.

Safe travels.

Dec 22, 2011 7:53 AM in response to brsm1990

I just use a simple silicon thing, made by Griffin...may not be what you really want. There are so many when you are in an airport with time to kill, or back home see what they have at the Apple store. Here you can find kiosks in shopping malls that have all kinds also.

Based on this experience, it might be good to avoid ones with built in screen protectors or covers.

Dec 26, 2011 7:20 AM in response to brsm1990

I did some testing and noticed that mine only acts that way when I am charging it. However, it only does it when I am using the very cheap aftermarket charger I bought to replace my lost Apple charger. It doesn't happen when I use my wife's original charger or my (seemingly) better quality aftermarket charger. I figure there has to be something weird in the voltage it supplies to my phone. Time to toss it in the garbage.

May not be your situation, but I figured I would toss it out for others to try if they find this thread due to the same issue.

Touch screen is not responding properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.