Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set or change the default From Address

I have a number of email address and when i click on the "Compose a new message" the New messge always comes up showing my gmail address in From line. I have to remember to manually use the popup to select the desired address. I have looked and cannot find a Mail option to select one of the other addresses as the default address for new messages.

Some help on how to change the default address for new messages will be appreciate.

iMac, MacBook Pro and iPad2-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 11:41 AM

You can drag the order of accounts in Mail preferences in the Accounts pane. Put your preferred account as the first.

Also, in the outgoing server preferences, check the box to use only the server for the selected account. Make sure the correct server is showing.

Also, if you highlight the account you wish to send from in the sidebar, that should be the active account when creating new messages.

In addition: Check the mail preferences under composing and make sure you don't have an account selected to send new messages from, or select the account you wish to always send from.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2011 11:41 AM in response to aRKay

You can drag the order of accounts in Mail preferences in the Accounts pane. Put your preferred account as the first.

Also, in the outgoing server preferences, check the box to use only the server for the selected account. Make sure the correct server is showing.

Also, if you highlight the account you wish to send from in the sidebar, that should be the active account when creating new messages.

In addition: Check the mail preferences under composing and make sure you don't have an account selected to send new messages from, or select the account you wish to always send from.

How to set or change the default From Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.