Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color 1.04

I've used color in the past successfuly. Now I'm having trouble with it. I've tried to run different test and the only factor that seems to make a difference is the length of timeline. Up to a minute and half everything is OK. Past a minute and half, the Color preview image just displays electronic gobly-gook. So, I am wondering, is there a memory setting in Color 1.04 that is improperly set that could be giving this problem? I've tried all kind of test otherwise, length seems to be the only factor.

Thanks for your help

MP

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 5:05 PM

11 replies

Dec 22, 2011 6:58 PM in response to Studio X

The timeline is HDV. HDV goes through Color and comes out the other side Apple pro res. That is not the problem. A 90 sec HDV timeline sent to Color does not present any problems. When I start sending longer timelines to Color, that's when the working image fall apart. I am viewing the preview on the same desktop monitor that I am editing on, an older Apple Cinema Display monitor.

mp

Dec 23, 2011 7:25 AM in response to Marco_Polo

Color HATES HDV.

Try converting it to ProRes before you send it.

fwiw - viewing your Color results on a desktop computer screen yields a flawed understanding of what is happening due to the color space differnces between computer and TV video monitors.

Color was designed to be used with a qualified card (Kona, Deckink, MXO, etc) feeding an exernal broadcast monitor.

Good luck,

x

Dec 23, 2011 9:13 AM in response to Studio X

Studio X, thanks for your comments, but they don't really address the issue. I have used Color to time HDV for years without any problems, including with stuff that has aired on my local PBS station. Ditto with the card/monitor factor. I have timed documentaries using Color on a cheapo monitor with good results. Yes, it is nice to cruise in a Cadi, but some of us have to drive a Corolla.

Please don't take this the wrong way, there is too much of "my computer is bigger than your computer" going on in this forums.

mp

Dec 23, 2011 11:04 AM in response to Marco_Polo

The specs as to format and recommended viewing come straight out of the Color manual and experience.

If your process has worked for you for years, what changed?

The current version of Color is 1.5.3. Have you upgraded software/hardware without updating Color?

When you tried converting to ProRes before sending to Color, did you have the same problem?

x

Dec 23, 2011 11:14 AM in response to Studio X

What changed, that is a good question. Two things. In the past, I used a super cheapo monitor to view the working image. That monitor died and now I am just using my main monitor (an older Apple Cinema Display model). I don't think it is the monitor since it displays correctly a timeline shorter than 90 seconds.

The other factor that changed is that on this timeline I am mixing HDV footage and footage from a Canon 60D. Again, on a timeline shorter than 90 seconds, that is not a problem either.

I know that Color performs better with shorter sequences and that it is better to break up the work. But, 90 seconds is a bit short, not very convenient on a one-hour piece.

I HAVE tried to convert the sequence to ProRes BEFORE sending to Color and that did not make a difference.

I tried all kind of variables. The only factor that made a difference was length. That is why I am wondering if Color has some kind of internal memory setting that could be coming into play. I am not at all a "sofware guy" so this is just a wild guess.

Thanks,

mp

Dec 23, 2011 11:45 AM in response to Marco_Polo

There is no internal memory setting.

Most issues with Color can be traced to -

a. Sending a material in a non-native codec (only ProRes and Uncompressed are natively supported through the process). As you know, HDV must be converted to ProRes for internal processing and output. Weird things can happen when highly compressed original formats are imported.

b. sending material that has been retimed (slow motion or sped up), has had filters applied, are stills or other non vanilla video

c. projects with mixed frame rates

If you are able to get the shorter clips to work, the issue may be related to your scratch disk. Is it set to a system drive or is it too full? If so, the hard drive may not be able to support sustained ProRes playback rates. Or, the drive may simply be failing.

good luck,

x

Color 1.04

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.