Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Mounting a SD Flash Card on an iMac

I have a new Kingston 8 GB SD card that formatted fine in my Canon SD-1200 digital camera. The problem is I cannot get the card to mount on my Apple iMac running OS X 10.7.2. What is weird is I can get my wife's Apple MacBook Pro to mount the card. The MBP has a SD card slot

My older iMac does not have an SD Card slot so I am using an iConnect SD Card reader/writer with a USB connection to the iMac. The iConnect adapter works fine with my other Kingston 2 GB SD card.

I wonder if there are size limits associated wih SD Card readers.

iMac, MacBook Pro and iPad2-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 6:21 PM

6 replies

Dec 23, 2011 3:30 AM in response to timfrombrisbane

>There may well be limitations on the size too. If you use the usb card reader in the macbook pro, does it work?

I just conducted another test. The Kingston 8 GB SD card mounts using the dedicated SD slot on the MacBook Pro but will not mount on the same MBP using the iConnect adaper via one of the two USB ports. This tells me hte card reader is the weak sister. The Alcor Micro Corp device must be the problem.

Mass Storage Device:

Product ID: 0x6331

Vendor ID: 0x058f (Alcor Micro, Corp.)

Version: 1.02

Serial Number: 058F0O1111B

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Generic

Location ID: 0x26200000 / 3

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 250

Internal Memory Card Reader:

Product ID: 0x8403

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 98.33

Serial Number: 9833

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple

Location ID: 0x26500000 / 2

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Dec 26, 2011 5:31 PM in response to timfrombrisbane

> Are you connecting the Card Reader straight to a known working USB port in the back of the iMac or through a hub?

Connected direct to known Good USB port on the iMac. The adaper works perfect with 2 GB Kingston SD card but cannot read the Kingston 8 GB SD card. It must be the adaper because I can get iPhoto to see the pictures on the 8 GB card in the camera using the Canon USB cable but the cable connection to the camera will not mount the card on the desktop

Help Mounting a SD Flash Card on an iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.