Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wired aluminum keyboard, iMac, Vol & brightness keys don't work

iMac5,1 with intel core 2 duo and a 2.16 GHz processor running leopard (10.5.8) with the wired aluminum keyboard; I cannot get the volume keys to work properly. I have tried the settings in system preferences under the keyboard option the only one to select is "use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" and it does not matter if the box is checked or not the volume keys do not work (this applies to the brightness keys as well, they do not work). I have made sure the software update was done for the keyboard (2.0 update).

Any other suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 9:32 PM

Did you recently buy this keyboard? Sometime this year, that board's specs changed from needing an OS min of 10.4.11 to requiring 10.6.8. The new board's model number is the same but the F4 key has six small squares instead of the Dashboard icon, and the F7 through F9 keys have typical DVD player control icons.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2011 9:32 PM in response to valynn

Did you recently buy this keyboard? Sometime this year, that board's specs changed from needing an OS min of 10.4.11 to requiring 10.6.8. The new board's model number is the same but the F4 key has six small squares instead of the Dashboard icon, and the F7 through F9 keys have typical DVD player control icons.

wired aluminum keyboard, iMac, Vol & brightness keys don't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.