Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S (Sprint Version) Unlock ! Help Please !

Hi there all iPhone and Apple Users 🙂, I REALLY need help with a issue I'm having. About a month ago, I bought an iPhone 4S on Sprint, from a Sprint Store, I want to use the phone internationally. I tried to chat with sprint, they told me they have sent a request to Apple, and then I am supposed to recieve an email from Apple giving me instructions to unlock my iPhone within 24 hours, I wait till the next day, I look in my email, Nothing, wait till the third day, I check my email again, nothing. I contact Sprint again, they said that Apple doesn't send emails anymore, and I have to have my number on my iPhone 4S (i actually swapped the number I activated it on to my old HTC, so I can use the iPhone in Egypt without any interruptions or roaming fees from sprint) They said I have to have my number swapped back on it until the unlock goes through, ( I was never told that in the first place, even though I mentioned that I swapped the number to my other phone, so the iPhone could be used internationally without Sprint charges getting in the way, they said it was no problem, first time I contacted them) Ok so I swap the number back, I confirm its working on my iPhone, They send the unlock request again, they said I just have to sync it to iTunes, in 8 to 24 hours. I wait 24 hours, I goto my iTunes connect the iPhone, press sync, nothing happens, for example like usually iTunes shows ''Congratulations, Your iPhone is now unlocked'' ,I call sprint, they swapped my number back to my old phone so I could use the iPhone outside the US, and they tell me it should be unlocked now. So I try it with another SIM card, NOTHING happens, I just get a ''iPhone Not Activated message'' with a Try Again and a Ignore button, with Bars and WiFi Bars on top, and in Settings, It still shows Sprint as the Carieer, even though I swapped the number back. this is a screenshot in my About info in Settings. http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/MarioWWE/photo.jpg and to prove this is an iPhone 4S , here is a screenshot with Siri, http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac271/MarioWWE/photo-1.jpg , Well I DON'T want to contact Sprint again, through what I've gone through with them, They have absoulotely no knowledge about what they're doing or the iPhone 4S, or anything, I was wondering if you can help please? either Apple or you, the users, I have a MobiNil Egypt SIM Card I can test it on, and I also have a T-Mobile USA SIM Card to test it on, Please help me ! Thank You ! 😀

P.S. My iPhone 4S is running on iOS 5.0.1 (9A405) (the old version of 5.0.1) on Baseband or Modem Firmware 1.0.13 if that helps, When I bought it, It was Running on iOS 5.0 (9A334) on Baseband/Modem Firmware 1.0.11 , I updated it via OverTheAir (OTA) the update was about 50 megabytes, and the model of the iPhone 4S is MD377LL, It is a 16GB and its the Black Version! I'm trying to give out as much information as I can to get the best help on unlocking it, Thanks Again !

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1, iPhone 4S (Sprint) 16GB Black

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 6:55 AM

If Sprint have sent the unlock request then you need to RESTORE your iphone in iTunes. Put in the sim card. Connect your phone to itunes and then click on restore. After the restore and the phone re-boots you should get the screen, Congratulations, Your iPhone has been unlocked.

14 replies

Dec 23, 2011 12:10 PM in response to MarioWWE

No, you don't need to replace the SIM when restoring to officially unlock. The SIM can be replaced after unlocking.

When travelling, you want to use a local SIM card from a carrier where you'll be, for the best local phone rates.

"International" SIMs merely replace Sprint with another carrier and you still have to pay roaming charges. They may be less than what Sprint charges, but likely higher than local, non-roaming charges. Also, data charges with roaming will be very high. The only good use is if you're travelling rapidly from country to country making changing carriers and SIM's too inconvenient.

Message was edited by: modular747

Dec 26, 2011 2:26 AM in response to MarioWWE

In that case, Sprint hasn't updated Apple with the unlock code, which would explain why you never got a comfirmatory email.

How many threads are you going to start on this same question??

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3597604?tstart=0

From that thread I learned that you wanted to use a Sprint phone on T-Mobile USA. Sprint does not allow unlocking to use on another domestic carrier,only for travel, if at all!!

iPhone 4S (Sprint Version) Unlock ! Help Please !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.