Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I import RAW as DNG to Aperture 3?

I'm switching from Lighroom to Aperture, and I want to be able to import RAW photos from my camera (Sony NEX-5) into Aperture 3 as DNG files.

The files on my camera are .ARW (Sony's proprietary RAW format). Lightroom gives me the option to convert to DNG when importing, as described here.

So far I can't find a way to have Aperture import my .ARW camera files and automatically convert them to .DNG.

I would really like to archive my photos as DNG without having to manually convert them to DNG. Is Apeture 3 capable of this?

Thanks!

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 9:12 AM

3 replies

Dec 23, 2011 11:55 AM in response to kylefox

I have the Adobe DNG Convertor set as my default app for when I insert a card ... it pops up and I tell it where to convert to. Then after I see it's done I just stop what I'm doing for a second and import that folder as a new project .. then go right back to what I was doing while it imports in the background. The way Lightroom has it built in to the import screen is kinda nifty but the Aperture & DNG Convertor method is actually much faster because you can continue editing the entire time without any performance issues .. LR doesn't seem to handle that type of workflow very well in my opinion. It might sound more complicated than the LR method but it's really not what I would call doing it manually .. it only takes up a few seconds here and there out of my entire day.

Can I import RAW as DNG to Aperture 3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.