Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are some famous cd's not matched

Here are a few of the CD's that iTunes failed to match on my system

Aqualung - Jethro Tull

The Beatles (White Album)

The Best of Elvis Costello And the Attractions

Fame and Fashion - David Bowie's Greatest Hits

Legend - Bob Marley & The Wailers

Why wouln't these match? (This is just a sample, most CD's did match). These are not obscure CD's, the titles have not been changed.

Also, why do some songs from a C/D match and others don't. One example: Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon (another resonably well know CD).

Thanks for any advice on getting them to match. I have turned match off and back on and rescanned etc.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 10:03 AM

Were your CDs older copies or recent versions that have been remastered?

The matching appears to be using audio fingerprints and they might be sensitive to the particular version of the songs you have. The versions in the Apple store will likely be current remastered and the audio fingerprints might be slightly different and causing the songs to not match.

I have the AC/DC Back in Black not matching, but my copy is from Atlantic records and the version in the iTunes Store would have come from Sony. This is all just a guess and it would be nice if Apple could test this theory and let us know. They should know how their match algorithim works and could get both sets of fingerprints....

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2011 10:03 AM in response to LMPaule

Were your CDs older copies or recent versions that have been remastered?

The matching appears to be using audio fingerprints and they might be sensitive to the particular version of the songs you have. The versions in the Apple store will likely be current remastered and the audio fingerprints might be slightly different and causing the songs to not match.

I have the AC/DC Back in Black not matching, but my copy is from Atlantic records and the version in the iTunes Store would have come from Sony. This is all just a guess and it would be nice if Apple could test this theory and let us know. They should know how their match algorithim works and could get both sets of fingerprints....

Dec 23, 2011 10:05 AM in response to LMPaule

Masterings, probably in every single example you've mentioned. Aqualung, White Album, Legend, DSOTM have all been remastered at least once. And Greatest Hits themselves might have remastered tracks.

Basically if iTM only has one mastering and your CD is a different mastering, you might have matching issues. I've seen this myself with 80's Beatles CD's as iTM only has the 2009 remasters.

Dec 23, 2011 10:18 AM in response to LMPaule

I'm not sure if Apple has this documented anywhere, but it would probably be in their best interest if they did (if only to reduce user calls). For whatever reason they have set their matching threshold high enough that mastering differences are causing these issues. Some of us suspect that they probably did this for a reason (maybe to satisfy the RIAA), but it's unknown if they will tweak those thresholds at a later date.

Popular CD's are actually affected more because there's a higher likelihood that those old CD's were remastered not only once, but sometimes multiple times. I have a few 80's semi-obscure CD's that match 100% only because the artist wasn't popular enough to warrant a remaster yet. 🙂

Dec 23, 2011 12:05 PM in response to Community User

It is worth noting that Apple has little control over the music content, they post whatever the copyright owner sends them. If a band or the person who owns the sound recordings wants just the current masters available in the digital marketplace, that is the copyright owners choice. Apple can't affect that choice.

In some instances you can find a band that chooses to have two masterings available, look at Genesis and you'll find the 1994 remasters and the 2007 remasters available - I think this is rare. Also for the collectors out there, companies like Mobil Fidelity remaster albums, but they only get to license the physical CD, the electronic version will come from someone else, the owner likely.

It is amazing that any cloud/match service works at all considering all the variations and sources for a sound recording.

Dec 28, 2011 9:10 AM in response to JKustak

JKustak wrote:

It is worth noting that Apple has little control over the music content, they post whatever the copyright owner sends them. If a band or the person who owns the sound recordings wants just the current masters available in the digital marketplace, that is the copyright owners choice. Apple can't affect that choice.

True that it makes sense that a record company would only want one mastering available. But Apple still needs to be able to recognize other masterings for the purpose of matching. Whether that means having a little looser matching algorithm or having those other masterings in the match side of the database, they need to handle it properly.

Dec 28, 2011 9:58 AM in response to Mike Connelly

Mike, yes. This make sense. While I understand the artist/record company postion on masters, the service is advertised as matching. I also understand that no database can be complete, and I do have quite a few obscure tracks that I would not expect Apple to have. But jeez, not being able to match Dark Side of The Moon. This was a USA purchased version shortly after it was released. I also have had the same issue with The Beatles - She Came In Through The Bathroom Window. I think the adverstising is a bit deceptive if it can't match DSOTH Moon and the Beatles.

Dec 28, 2011 10:25 AM in response to LMPaule

All 226 Beatles songs from the 2009 remasters matched for me. It's the one full discography that I not only own, but attempted in iTM. SCITTBW, from my testing, is problematic on the original 80's CD only (I tested that as well). As for DSOTM, how many times has that been remastered? This is one of those albums that seems to get the remaster treatment every few years, so it doesn't surprise me that it would not match most of the time.

As for the adverts, of course it's going to be deceptive - it's an advertisement. I've actually read them over and it says "most of" or "probably", so there's that wiggle room in case someone complains. But I agree with you that masterings are never brought up and perhaps it should be (even as a footnote at the bottom - something like "there is no guarantee that your albums will match due to masterings, bitrate or other factors out of our control"). But I only can't see how having multiple masterings of these albums in the Cloud are going to be feasible for them - it may not even be allowed by the labels.

I've actuallly done some more tests with my own CD rips, and the general pattern I've seen so far is that music from the last decade or so, in general, matches quite well. But CD's from the 80's or early 90's have a significantly lower chance of matching - sometimes it's OOP so it would upload 100%, or there was one or more remasters where one or more tracks don't match anymore. But I still get a few recent CD's that have that one elusive uploaded track that makes no sense at all.

Dec 28, 2011 10:56 AM in response to Community User

roebeet wrote:

But I only can't see how having multiple masterings of these albums in the Cloud are going to be feasible for them - it may not even be allowed by the labels.

They have two options, they can either update their database to handle alternate masterings, or they can loosen up the matching algorithm. I suspect they wouldn't even have to have all audio files masterings in their database since the difference is probably track length more often than not. They probably just need the audio to match to and just include the different track lengths from the other masterings.

Not improving the matching and blaming it on alternate masterings isn't going to fly, they need to do something to seriously improve it.

Why are some famous cd's not matched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.