Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Canon MX860 Prints, But Won't Scan

I cannot get my Canon MX860 to scan. It prints fine, but its Canon MP Navigator EX software says it can't find a scanner.

I have the latest drivers downloaded from the Canon site.

When I go to Print & Scan in System Preferences, I can get Printers to show up, but clicking on the + button does not give me an opportunity to add a scanner.

It is maddening, of course, as it can see the printer function of the MX860, but not the scanner.

I long ago gave up trying to print/scan wireless, so the printer is connected to my Time Capsule via USB. My iMac is connected to the TC via Ethernet.

I suspect there's a reasonable simple fix, but I've spent hours trying to find it and my efforts have been futile.

Help, and thanks!

iMac, MacBook, iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 5:20 PM

3 replies

Dec 24, 2011 12:14 AM in response to Roll Over DJ

The Time Capsule is stopping your from seeing and adding the scanner. This is a known limitation of all Airport peripherals as document here. While the article only mentions printer utilities, the same applies for scanning (it falls under the special category).

So unfortunately the only way you are going to be able to scan is to get the MX860 connected directly to your wireless network, or plug the device into the Mac via USB when you need to scan.

My Canon MX860 Prints, But Won't Scan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.