Skip navigation

Time Machine will not backup after an error creating the backup folder.

293 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 8:07 AM by Pondini RSS
PVignau Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 24, 2011 7:44 AM

I have TM that will not make backups anymore after getting an error trying to create the backup folder. It wasn't able to complete that backup so it will not create new ones.

I also have a huge file in the backup directory:"dateofbackupattempt.inprogress". It is 231 Gb as if it was trying to do a complete backup instead of an incremental one.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

• Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,710 points)

PVignau wrote:

I have TM that will not make backups anymore after getting an error trying to create the backup folder. It wasn't able to complete that backup so it will not create new ones.

Exactly what message did you get? 

If you don't know, use the widget in #A1 of  Time Machine - Troubleshooting to display the backup messages from your logs.  Locate the backup in question, then copy and post all the messages here.

I also have a huge file in the backup directory:"dateofbackupattempt.inprogress". It is 231 Gb as if it was trying to do a complete backup instead of an incremental one.

Yes, sounds like it.  What else happened before this?  See #D3 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting for some causes of a full backup.

Has Time Machine deleted most of your remaining backups?

Any idea how to fix this?

That will depend on what's wrong. 

PVignau wrote:

. . .

I was about to leave another topic in the "Lion" when I read a few threads similar to my case. I basically did a full reset of TM as described in A4 ofTime Machine - Troubleshooting and everything is back to normal.

Yay!  Glad that's all it took.

I am doing my TM backups on a Drobo, maybe there's something there, maybe not.

That does add another element to the mix.

Thanks anyway and Happy Holidays!

You're quite welcome, and happy holidays to you, too. 

• georgefrommosman park Calculating status...

Hi!

Sorry but I am new to this thing about communities.

My Time Machine stopped operating yesterday and I get the same message that everyone else seems to get.

An error occurred while creating a backup file.

The first thing that I did was to run disc utilities. If I run it on the computer, I get the message "Error: Cannot unmount disc."

If I run disc utility when I do  restart of 10.7 with the Command & R buttons held down. I can run a Disc Repair of the Time Machine back up disc. It takes a couple of hours.

Am not sure what it means that the Time Machine backup HD cannot unmount. I use a 1 TB WD hard drive. Every month I run a Disc Repair to make sure it runs well.

Any suggestions out there?

georgefrommosman park wrote:

. . .

My Time Machine stopped operating yesterday and I get the same message that everyone else seems to get.

An error occurred while creating a backup file.

There are a couple of similar messages, with very different causes and fixes:

"An error ocupred while copying files to the backup volume" -- see #C3 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

"Error creating directory" or "Error while creating the backup folder" -- see #C10 in the same link.

Am not sure what it means that the Time Machine backup HD cannot unmount.

That just means that some other process is using the disk, so Disk Utility shouldn't interrupt that, as it can cause (more) damage.  Usually, if you cancel the backup, and eject the disk, then reconnect it, Disk Utility can then repair it.   If not, you're doing the right thing by starting from your Recovery HD.

• georgefrommosman park Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you Pondini.

I have tried this. I rebooted the into the REcovery HD, ran disc utility and restarted it this morning. The Time Machine symbol in the menu appears as a grey ghost, not the black symbol usually seen. I went off to work, Came back and it was still running.

It had not saved a thing and the partial file in the folder was dated back to Feb when it all stopped recording. I repaired the disc again. No issues noted.

Tried to restart Time Machine. Same grey ghost.

Decided to erase and start anew. Got the message cannot erase as disc cannot be unmounted.

Where to next? Help!!!!

georgefrommosman park wrote:

Thank you Pondini.

. . .

The Time Machine symbol in the menu appears as a grey ghost, not the black symbol usually seen.

That sounds like Time Machine is turned OFF (on the Preferences panel).

I assume you clicked the TM icon in your menubar or Dock and selected Back Up Now? 

It had not saved a thing and the partial file in the folder was dated back to Feb when it all stopped recording. I repaired the disc again. No issues noted.

That sounds like a backup didn't get started at all.

Tried to restart Time Machine. Same grey ghost.

Do you mean moving the big slider button on the TM Prefs panel to ON, or Back Up Now?

Decided to erase and start anew. Got the message cannot erase as disc cannot be unmounted.

Where to next? Help!!!!

Assuming you were doing Back Up Now, let's see what your logs show.  Use the widget in #A1 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting to display the backup messages from your logs.  Locate the backup in question, then copy and post all the messages here.

Also either tell us what's on the Preferences panel, or post a screenshot of it.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.