Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 Beeps on Startup Help

This is for my friend, who has been having some computer troubles. Already it has been sent in to the shop because of some problems, but just the other day something happened:

I sent a video link my friend asked for, and it contains a lot of popups that can be easily clicked away. On my own computer, ti works fun, but on that of my friend, a message popped up, saying that the computer had to restart. Following this, the computer can not start up, and instead beeps three times, repeatedly. I've looked around to see what information I could find, and apparently this means that there are "no good (RAM) banks".

I'd like to help my friend fix this issue, but I also hope it wasn't my link that did this. More than likely it's just a conincidence. THe computer has had some troubles before after all.

I'm looking forward to responses; this is rather urgent.

Thank you very much.

(It's running Mac OSX Lion)

iPhone 3G, iOS 3.1.3

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 10:48 AM

Possibly the RAM is not seated quite right - maybe because of the recent service.

MAYBE, it is as simple as reseating the RAM.

Owner's manual and probably online stuff will give instructions.

charlie

15 replies

Dec 24, 2011 10:48 AM in response to synchronizer

The message to restart is a kernel panic, which is usually, but not always, caused by a hardware issue.

The three beeps, as you've found, means there is a memory problem. You can try reseating the memory (pull it out and put it back in) to see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't fix it, try restarting with one or the other memory cards installed, as the issue could be a memory card that's gone bad. The next step would be to get some known good memory to substitute for the existing memory. If that fails, then it's likely a logic board issue.

Dec 25, 2011 7:13 AM in response to synchronizer

I am having same problem and is urgent, Christmas day (of course) and know nothing about fixing hardware issues. How do you reseat ram if this is problem? have no idea where it is located. It is 2010 mac book pro, cannot find instruction manual. No backups of my data of course, am using sketchy old computer and trying not to panic here, that would be bad on christmas day with kids. thanks.

Apr 26, 2012 9:04 AM in response to synchronizer

Hello All,

I had this issue this morning as well. Although there were muliple different variables in my situation, I was able to resolve this for a client this morning.

I found that said MacBook Pro could not read 16 GB (2 x 8GB) RAM, and had to attempt to switch it out for a lower amount. I then tried 4 GB (2 x 2 GB), reset the PRAM, shutdown, reset the PRAM again, took out the OSX installer disc, put it back in, etc.

Best Practice:

1) Check, re-seat, or insert proper amount of RAM.

2) Reset the PRAM (Command+Option+P+R)

3) Take out any CDs or DVDs

4) (Optional) Reset the PRAM again

5) (Optional) Cross your fingers and wait... BE PATIENT!

Otherwise, follow the outlined help from "BGreg" and resolve this issue as possible.

All the best,

-- Morris

Jun 22, 2012 1:12 PM in response to mojolevy

Just thought I'd mention that I experienced the 3 beeps issue when connecting a portable USB-powered drive to my MacBook Pro and attempting to boot from it. Has nothing at all to do with RAM, because the machine boots normally when I disconnect the drive. This obviously shows that the 3 beep error is not related to RAM per se, but to a startup condition which fails.

It would, of course, be nice if Apple had a KB article which described the conditions under which this error might occur, but apparently it does not.

Feb 25, 2014 6:09 AM in response to synchronizer

I just thought I would mention that while using my MacBook Pro (fall 2011) in casual use I started getting the three beep of doom noise and it froze. I powered down and restarted. The noise resumed. I did a hard shut down again and zapped the pram about 10 times, let it restart and it seems to be fine now. I have 8gb of ram installed and it has been this config since day one. (Great machine Btw). Thanks for the tips.

3 Beeps on Startup Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.