Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calling out to BDAqua

I have followed your instructions on another thread on downloading adobe flash drive to OS 10.4.11 which led me to (101r102_64_ubmac.dmg file). This worked well on the first attempt and I got as far as having the download complete itself 95% of the way, but then stopped and just sat there for 15 minutes w/o continuing until I had to force it to quit. Trying the process a second time I only got as far as "install" when a message appeared saying that the process had failed and I should ask for customer support. I been around and around with this 143x and always reach the same dead end.

I originally uninstalled to reinstall my adobe flash drive on the advice of an apple "GENIUS" to correct a problem where I could open most web sites but not others including eBay. She also told me to uninstall/reinstall my Safari as another possible fix to this problem Fortunately the uninstall-drag safari to the trash-did not work or I'd be sucking wind on that too,

Any other ideas? Would upgrading to leopard help? I think that is as far as I can go as this OS is not compatable with 10.6 sno lep

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 1:21 PM

Hi Tony,

Did you download the smaller ones I put up, or the big whole works from Adobe?

Do you really have a Mac Pro or a Powermac?

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2011 1:21 PM in response to tonythehammer

Hi Tony,

Did you download the smaller ones I put up, or the big whole works from Adobe?

Do you really have a Mac Pro or a Powermac?

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

Dec 24, 2011 3:19 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your quick response, and on Christmas Eve!

I followed your instructions to the letter going thru all the steps and finishing with "101r102 64 ubmac.dmgfile" It worked smoothly untiol we hit a wall at 95% complete.

It's a power pc G4. dual processor 1Gz, build version 8S165. I will print out your instrutions and try your approach. I have way too much time into this to give up now. I have all my start up stuff-I save everything.

Have a Happy Christmas all!

Dec 25, 2011 2:40 PM in response to tonythehammer

tony,

Just a reminder that Flash can't be updated for PPC's running Tiger any longer so there are no more security updates and that leads to those vulnerability issues.

Even for our Intel MBP running Tiger I can't install the latest Flash - it's for 10.5 and above.

Just a thought - forget about Flash unless you absolutely have to have it. Can you live without it?

There's a sub for youtube for flash - mactube I think - which you can check out but I don't know if it works.

Mrs H

Dec 25, 2011 3:04 PM in response to Mrs H

Mrs H wrote:

tony,

Just a reminder that Flash can't be updated for PPC's running Tiger any longer so there are no more security updates ...

addendum here: I may have misspoken here - they may still be doing updates for Tiger - flash v10.3xxx but for Intel Macs. I'm not sure on this though. When I updated the flash on our MBP (yes, we still have flash, but I have it disabled on the MBP because it is outdated) I had to go to older/other systems to get an older version since the current v11 does not work on Tiger.

Mrs H

Dec 27, 2011 11:40 AM in response to tonythehammer

Ciao, This is a status report and a thank you to all who have shown interest in my problem and have directly or indirectly led me to a successful conclusion.

I began by following the advice left for me by BD. I was unfortunately unable to proceed as instructed as the option to "repair" only was not given to me, that button remained in grey. That tried, I resorted to following the instructions printed in the setup guide which came with the Tiger cd. This was of no useeither as I recieved a message that I could not continue as the op system I was trying to replace was of a higher value than th one I was trying to install. Undaunted I picked up a piece of paper that a 3rd set of instructions for reinstalling which I decided to follow. I do nor remember where this sheet came from, but it had me load the disc> then click install> archive and install, which promised to put my files in a folder marked Previous Ssytem, (I have yet to find this folder) but no matter as we proceeded thru the install process without a hitch. Next I searched for sofware updates and updated back to 4.11 and some java thing as well. Other than that I loaded up to date soft ware for the Epson printer and scanner and had to reinstall the software for the HP all in one.

I am now able to connect with the sites that were not accessible before and my Adobe Flash Player is back on line. So who's happier than me?

Dec 27, 2011 1:15 PM in response to tonythehammer

tonythehammer wrote:

Ciao, This is a status report and a thank you to all who have shown interest in my problem and have directly or indirectly led me to a successful conclusion.

I am now able to connect with the sites that were not accessible before and my Adobe Flash Player is back on line. So who's happier than me?

tony,

Thanks for getting back to us with your progress report; I'm glad things seem to be working out for you. 🙂 Be careful with that flash player though - Adobe isn't doing updates for Tiger any more.

I hope you saw my reply on your other question about whether your 1280 will work in SL. It will, but it seems now that that is not an issue.

And, thanks for awarding points, it is always appreciated.

Mrs H

Dec 27, 2011 4:35 PM in response to Mrs H

I meant to award points to others as well but got called away before I could do that, I'll do it now, if I can figure out what I'm doing, I wouldn't want anyone to feel slighted because I appreciate all the responses I've gotten. However, I spoke to soon I did not recover Adobe Flash Player as I had thought but I used the link that was given up by Henry G4, a link I had not previously tried, and this time it went right to 100% and I is all set. Although no one seemed to have the complete answer, combining everyone's advice led me to the right places. So thanks again and I'll see ya in Cyber Space!

Calling out to BDAqua

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.