Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen between every clip that does not appear on timeline, only on MOV file

Hello

I originially had this issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3522948?answerId=17086997022#17086997022

I have now fixed the letterboxing issue but now have this problem (I did not have this issue before) where I get a very short black screen between each clip I put on the timeline. The black screen does not show up on the timeline, it only appears once I create the file. I'm not sure if this is affected but the fact I have an external hard drive. All my footage is stored on the hard drive and i save my Final Cut Pro file on the hard drive then upload it to YouTube. I made 2 quick short MOV files to test this theory (one made from footage on my EHD and the other from footage from my desk top) neither files had the black screen in the MOV files.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9yBH8oAnx8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI27LlWTdXE

These links are to my latest video I uploaded which shows the blacks clips, it's not terrible to have them but it's very annoying.

Thank you in advance for your help and Merry Christmas

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 4:23 PM

Go back to your original topic and look at the screenshots you posted. There are two different frame rates.

That's where the gaps are coming from. Source footage properties and Sequence settings must match if you want to avoid problems like this.

Quick fix that might be acceptable: Use the controls at the bottom of the Timeline to increase the horizontal length of the clip display until you have enough room to click in the gaps. Go through, right click in the space between clips and choose Close Gap from the contextual menu.

Proper fix: Rebuild the movie from scratch with correct settings.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2011 4:23 PM in response to CharlotteAlana

Go back to your original topic and look at the screenshots you posted. There are two different frame rates.

That's where the gaps are coming from. Source footage properties and Sequence settings must match if you want to avoid problems like this.

Quick fix that might be acceptable: Use the controls at the bottom of the Timeline to increase the horizontal length of the clip display until you have enough room to click in the gaps. Go through, right click in the space between clips and choose Close Gap from the contextual menu.

Proper fix: Rebuild the movie from scratch with correct settings.

Jan 1, 2012 9:48 AM in response to Nick Holmes

Hello Nick, thanks for the answer.

I have fully lengthened my timeline and the black gaps are not there to delete (they only appear once the file has been exported).

The issue I have (I think) is that im not sure what export settings I am meant to choose to export the footage.

My camera records in widescreen so when I place my footage onto the time line and final cut pro automatically selects the correct settings for me, this is what is choosesUser uploaded file

This is then the export settings that are automatically in the box when I go to export

User uploaded file

As my footage is 1920 x 1080 I would expect to be given an option with that in but these are the only options available

User uploaded file

I am not sure if this should create the black spaces between each shot.

Black screen between every clip that does not appear on timeline, only on MOV file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.