Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why isn't there a file system?

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over already, but I have to chime in. The lack of having any kind of file system to gain access to files between apps is simply DUMB. What would have driven apple to devise something so counter-productive? It literally ruins the entire iPad experience.

I am seriously ready to put my new Ipad2/3g out on Craigslist, simply because trying to get files from one application to another is an exercise of futility, and is aggrevating beyond anything I have ever experienced in my 25 years in the IT field.

I've spent money on Dropbox, Goodreader, GoDocs, etc etc etc, which only adds to the confusion. Some apps can see others, and some apps can't. HTere is never any common ground.

Let's say I have a single picture I want to open in several different applications. On the iPad, this will result in having to create several differnt copies of the same picture - one for each application. What is the point of that? just getting the file from one app to another may involve having to upload to the 'net , and then downloding back into another application. WHY????????

Someone needs to create a killer app that will give us a GLOBAL FILE FOLDER SYSTEM that we can use as a central place to access files from ANY app.

Goodbye iPad, hello Android - I'm done.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1, 3G

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 5:06 PM

66 replies

Dec 28, 2011 5:46 PM in response to GA_ipad

The ipad is built for media consumption, not for media creation. With that said, enterprise adoption is rapidly increasing given the greater security of the ios ecosystem vs android. With enterprise implementations, local storage of documents is frowned upon and presents a security risk. Why need a local filesystem when u can access your company cloud storage system?

Jan 6, 2017 1:50 PM in response to Chris CA

Essentially, the way it works now, each iOS application has it's own restricted directory which only that application can access. Personal information should be stored there, securely.

What that user was suggesting is that the iOS file system have openly accessible directories in addition to that. Places within the file system where you can store images, documents, and other files that you would want to allow access to.

<Edited by Host>

Dec 25, 2011 7:48 PM in response to GA_ipad

GA_ipad wrote:

Exactly. Unfortunantly, it appears the iPad will only meet the requirements of those needing to use it for games and light web browsing/email. They are missing a huge market of professional users who need to see a file system in order to use it for any serious productivity.

Apple has a plan, and you have to admit, their decision to miss "a huge market of professional users" has somehow resulted in a veritable lock on the tablet market. You also have to admit that every other company that has tried this, from Microsoft in the last ten years to Android, have somehow completely and utterly failed to get any traction in the tablet market despite that fact that they are not "missing a huge market of professional users."

I'm not saying you're wrong...you definitely should buy only the device that really does what you want, even if it isn't an iPad. All I'm saying is, the file system issue has simultaneously not hurt Apple and not helped any other tablet maker. At all. The "huge market" that there is, has apparently voted to go Apple. With their dollars. And enterprise use of the iPad is actually growing.

(I don't actually own an iPad yet, can't justify it.)

why isn't there a file system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.