Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activating an iPhone 4S?

I have bought an iPhone 4s through Apple online in New Zealand few days ago. However, as soon as I received my phone, I had to leave the country and now I am stuck in Korea for few months before I get back to NZ.

I did not have any time to activate my iphone back in NZ so basically the phone is stuck in 'first setup' stuff that requires a sim card.

I heard that iphones are 'country locked', so I am not even sure whether sim that sells in Korea would activate this phone.

So is there another way to activate this phone? or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 7:30 PM

EDIT:

Was wrong about initial statement, I guess the iPhone 4S is sold unlocked in NZ.

If that's the case, find a SIM card in Korea. And a computer for initial setup. Thankfully the 4S is a global phone.

iPhones are really more "carrier locked" in which carriers operate in certain countries. In the States, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint (who sell the 4S) have their own policies about unlocking the SIM for international use.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2011 7:30 PM in response to CookieMonster!

EDIT:

Was wrong about initial statement, I guess the iPhone 4S is sold unlocked in NZ.

If that's the case, find a SIM card in Korea. And a computer for initial setup. Thankfully the 4S is a global phone.

iPhones are really more "carrier locked" in which carriers operate in certain countries. In the States, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint (who sell the 4S) have their own policies about unlocking the SIM for international use.

Dec 24, 2011 8:30 PM in response to CookieMonster!

If your iPhone is officially unlocked/sim free, you should be able to activate and use any sim card form any operator in any country. I believe NZ offers unlocked iPhone.

About the Unlocked iPhone The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a contract commitment. You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice.* The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers. If you don’t want a multiyear service contract or if you prefer to use a local carrier when traveling abroad, the unlocked iPhone is the best choice. It arrives without a micro-SIM card, so you’ll need an active micro-SIM card from any supported GSM carrier worldwide. To start using it, simply insert the micro-SIM card into the slot on your iPhone and turn it on by pressing and holding the On/Off button for a few seconds. Then follow the onscreen instructions to set up your iPhone.

< Hyperlink Edited By Host >

Activating an iPhone 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.