Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bough an unlocked iPhone 4S in USA and just travel to Ecuador. Does any one can help me step by step what should I do to activate it and use in Ecuador. What should I do first. Thank you

I bought an unlocked iPhone in USA and just travel to Ecuador in December. I tried to activate it to use in Ecuador but I haven´t got any good results. What I did first is try to download iTunes from the internet but I got a Message saying that "There is not any SIM card installed in the iPhone I try to activate" I got a SIM card from "Claro" which is the carrier in Ecuador and seems like my iPhone does not recongnize this SIM Card.

I am also wondering the following:

1. Can this 4S iPhone be activated in Ecuador

2. Are "Claro" or Movistar" (Phone companies in Ecuador) allowed to have my iPhone 4S activated using theirs SIM cards.

Please help me with step by step things to do with this issue. many thanks.

iPhone 4S, Windows XP

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 8:05 PM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2012 8:59 PM in response to wfge3

Hi, I also bought an unlocked iphone 4S in the USA and tried to use it in Ecuador. I got a message saying "No Service". I tried many times without any luck. Finally, I decided to go to settings, carrier and turned off "Automatic". The iphone did the searching, found the carrier and I manually chose "Claro". Then it finally worked 🙂. I hope this help you if you still have this problem.

Jan 25, 2013 9:16 AM in response to Draekon 2000

thanks for this... I bought iphone 4 unlocked in USA in Dec 2012--being told by the salesperson IN the Apple store that there were Apple Stores in Quito & Cuenca. I'm in Cuenca now--NO STORE, & now that I need to activate--have also been told "not every cellular store CAN activate iphone!" I am reading about all these problems--yours is the first response that has a solution! Now going to set up with Claro... wish me luck! Any other advice you have on use in Ecuador--I'll be grateful :-)

I bough an unlocked iPhone 4S in USA and just travel to Ecuador. Does any one can help me step by step what should I do to activate it and use in Ecuador. What should I do first. Thank you

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.