Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac g5 restoring to factory settings.

I have a iMac g5 and I would like to give this to my friend but all my stuff is on it so is there a command to restore this imac to the factory settings?

I am using Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 2:56 AM

No. You need to erase the HD and re-install the original OS and software from the grey discs that came with it.

Restore to original:

Boot from your grey installer DVD disc 1 (hold down the C key on startup or hold down Alt/option on start and choose the installer disc).

OK the language page (if present).

From the installer screen, go to the menu bar and choose Disk Utility; depending on the OS version it may be in the Utilities menu or Tools menu.

In DU, select your internal drive in the sidebar (the top item with the makers name and serial no.). Run Repair Disk.

If that comes up as disk OK, click the partition tab. Select the partiton from the drop-down above the graphic; 1 partiton is all you need.

Go to the options button and ensure that the partition scheme is APM (for G5 and earlier) and the file system to Mac OS Extended (Journalled). Name the partiton (usually Macintosh HD), click Apply.

When that's finished, select the new volume in the sidebar (indented to the right below the drive) and go to the Erase tab, select Security options and select zero data (one pass is more than sufficient). Click erase.

That will take quite some time; probably measured in hours and dependant on the size of the drive. After this action none of your data will be recoverable.

When that's completed, close DU and continue with the installation.

After the restart, when the setup assistant appears, shut down the Mac by holding the power button for a few seconds.

When your friend starts it up, he/she will be able to set up an account from scratch.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2011 2:56 AM in response to No1matthew

No. You need to erase the HD and re-install the original OS and software from the grey discs that came with it.

Restore to original:

Boot from your grey installer DVD disc 1 (hold down the C key on startup or hold down Alt/option on start and choose the installer disc).

OK the language page (if present).

From the installer screen, go to the menu bar and choose Disk Utility; depending on the OS version it may be in the Utilities menu or Tools menu.

In DU, select your internal drive in the sidebar (the top item with the makers name and serial no.). Run Repair Disk.

If that comes up as disk OK, click the partition tab. Select the partiton from the drop-down above the graphic; 1 partiton is all you need.

Go to the options button and ensure that the partition scheme is APM (for G5 and earlier) and the file system to Mac OS Extended (Journalled). Name the partiton (usually Macintosh HD), click Apply.

When that's finished, select the new volume in the sidebar (indented to the right below the drive) and go to the Erase tab, select Security options and select zero data (one pass is more than sufficient). Click erase.

That will take quite some time; probably measured in hours and dependant on the size of the drive. After this action none of your data will be recoverable.

When that's completed, close DU and continue with the installation.

After the restart, when the setup assistant appears, shut down the Mac by holding the power button for a few seconds.

When your friend starts it up, he/she will be able to set up an account from scratch.

iMac g5 restoring to factory settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.