Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install windows without the cd drive?

Hello,

I have a 2009 iMac that I want to install Windows 7 on. I have both a Windows 7 iso and a Windows 7 DVD. However, my cd drive is a mess, and upon trying to install Windows 7 from the DVD, the installation failed miserably 3 times at expanding windows files 0%. From there it just freezes for more than an hour and then gives me an error.

Now, my Bootcamp Assistant has an option to create a windows 7 install disk, but unfortunately it is greyed out.

My question to you guys: Is it possible to install Windows 7 on the iMac without using the cd drive?
I am using Lion, if that is helpful. Also, the Windows 7 DVD works fine, as I have already installed Windows on my 2011 iMac from it.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 2:16 AM

14 replies

Oct 12, 2013 1:06 PM in response to techbul

I'm in a similar situation. Attending an online university and I need to use Access. But of course, Microsoft doesn't make a Mac version. I can get Windows through the university discount program, but only as a downloadable .iso file and a verification key. My drive works fine, I just don't have an actual CD/DVD to put in there.

How to install windows without the cd drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.