Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyword Filtering & Search Via Parent Structure In Aperture Is Ugly - Help

I'm very frustrated with the keyword assigning and filtering within Aperture.

I basically have my keywording down, but USING the keywords is a nightmare. I try and create parent keywords by things like People (fred, john, harry, etc.), vacation (2011 - Cancun, etc.), or Wedding (2011 - Fred & Ginger).

What I don't understand is how to easily and quickly search after I've created it. When I pull up the "filter" it lists ALL keywords, alphabetically, but they are not organized into the nested groups that I created - why? I can't "search" the keywords either.

The keyword HUD is equally useless to me. It would be much better if I could easily move photos assigned to one keyword to another - but instead, I find myself needing to search for one keyword, select them all, then assign them to the new one, then delete the old one. What a PITA. The keyword HUD would SEEM to be the right place for it as - but all it does is seem to help you sort of organize your keywords. You can MOVE keywords to a parent keyword, but you can't pull up the images associated with that keyword or move them.

I've googled arond on this for a while and never found a good answer.

I used to use a program called Bullstorm Keyword manager with iPhoto that I loved. Then Apple ruined that, and destroyed iPhoto's way of managing keywords..... So, I was semi-forced to move over to Aperture which is "ok" - fraught with problems as it doesn't work witih my e-mail programs, slower, etc. etc. But, I'll take it if it could ONLY handle keyword management better.

Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 9:15 AM

9 replies

Dec 25, 2011 11:11 AM in response to egoldy

Just some hints to make this easier:

• The parent keywords will only be displayed, if you have duplicate keywords with different parents. As long as each keyword is only defined once, Aperture will not show the parents, or grandparents.
  • If you select a library item, i.e. folder, album, project, only the subset of keywords used in this set of images will appear in the search list, which makes it much easier to quickly find the keyword you want.
  • It would be much better if I could easily move photos assigned to one keyword to another
  • Do you want to rename a keyword? This can be done in the keyword HUD: double click the name of the keyword and edit the name. The keyword will be changed in all images associated with it. You can also merge keywords by dragging keywords with the same name to the same parent group in the keyword HUD.
  • To quickly find images associated with some keyword, you also can just type part of the keyword into the searchfield above the filmstrip - text search also finds text in the keywords.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 26, 2011 6:11 AM in response to léonie

Leonie - thanks for the response, but I still have questions:

The parent keywords will only be displayed, if you have duplicate keywords with different parents. As long as each keyword is only defined once, Aperture will not show the parents, or grandparents.

Ideally, I want to be able to view my searches at a parent level and then select the children features that are applicable - instead of having to search across all my keywords each time. E.g. selection Vacation, and then select the vacations that I want to see or see an easy list of all the 'core people" or "all people" that I want to search on.

• If you select a library item, i.e. folder, album, project, only the subset of keywords used in this set of images will appear in the search list, which makes it much easier to quickly find the keyword you want.
  • Found that out yesterday - that's helpful, but I usually like to search across my entire database (e.g. give me every picture of Bob).

Do you want to rename a keyword? This can be done in the keyword HUD: double click the name of the keyword and edit the name. The keyword will be changed in all images associated with it. You can also merge keywords by dragging keywords with the same name to the same parent group in the keyword HUD.

It's not so much that I want to "rename a keyword" as I want to merge it with another keyword. This happens when I have keywods like "Bob" and "Bob Reynolds". I just need to make sure that all the Bob's get put into Bob Reynolds. Sometimes when I import pictures, I get images with other keywords that I want to merge with mine. It sounds like I might be able to do this by renaming "Bob" to "Bob Reynolds" and then putting them under the same parent, right? That would be helpful.

To quickly find images associated with some keyword, you also can just type part of the keyword into the searchfield above the filmstrip - text search also finds text in the keywords.

The problem with the "search" is that I have keywords with people's name in them (as well as within the name of the file). In other words, I have keywords like "Bob's Wedding" - if I search for Bob, I get that too. I want to be able to quickly search for people, locations, etc. within that search.

Another question:

- Would be nice if there was an easier way to assign keywords with the keyboard. Being limited to only 8 keywords at a time (via the option xyz key) along with "," and "." is awkward. Would be much nicer if I could simply hit "option k" and then start typing the keyword and have it find a keyword that meets that criteria and hit "return" and get to the next one. This is what I used to be able to do with the Bullstorm keyword manager - could easily do various keyword assigning to hundreds of photos without switching back and forth from the keboard to the mouse and back.

Again, appreciate the help - I'm really trying to like Aperture, but it continues to frustrate me as I really found iPhoto with the Bullstorm keyword manager a perfect fit (that no longer works).

Eric

Dec 26, 2011 6:55 AM in response to egoldy

Hello Eric,

Ideally, I want to be able to view my searches at a parent level and then select the children features that are applicable - instead of having to search across all my keywords each time. E.g. selection Vacation, and then select the vacations that I want to see or see an easy list of all the 'core people" or "all people" that I want to search on.

You can just do that - at least with Aperture 3.2.2, I never tried it with previous versions.

Even, if you do not set the parent "vacation" keyword and do not see it displayed, you can search for it, and if any of the keyword "vacation"'s children are set, then a search for "vacation" will return all images with children of "vacation" set.

It sounds like I might be able to do this by renaming "Bob" to "Bob Reynolds" and then putting them under the same parent, right? That would be helpful.

Exactly, rename the keyword "Bob" outside the group of "Bob Reynolds" to "Bob Reynolds" and then drag the second "Bob Reynolds" to the other group. You first will get a warning that some images carry the keyword, then you will be prompted if you want to merge the keywords.

The problem with the "search" is that I have keywords with people's name in them (as well as within the name of the file). In other words, I have keywords like "Bob's Wedding" - if I search for Bob, I get that too. I want to be able to quickly search for people, locations, etc. within that search.

It looks like you are using keywords for task that can be done in Aperture with other tools, like "Faces" or "Places" or "Project Names". To find people I search the "Faces", to find vacation pictures I search the locations, events I search by date. Maybe you can shorten your keyword list by looking at the other options.

Would be nice if there was an easier way to assign keywords with the keyboard. Being limited to only 8 keywords at a time (via the option xyz key) along with "," and "." is awkward.

I wish Kirby Krieger would drop in - I remember he once wrote a nice post explaining how to use the textfield in the keyboard controls to assign keywords by typing, but I cannot find this post right now.

But the basic idea is, if you show the keyword controls (shift-D), there is a textfield with the message "add keyword" written into it. If you now start typing the name of a keyword, you will get a drop down list with possible completions and you can pick one of the suggestions to quickly assign the keyword to your selected images.

HTH

Léonie

Dec 26, 2011 7:27 AM in response to léonie

Hello Eric,

You can just do that - at least with Aperture 3.2.2, I never tried it with previous versions.

Even, if you do not set the parent "vacation" keyword and do not see it displayed, you can search for it, and if any of the keyword "vacation"'s children are set, then a search for "vacation" will return all images with children of "vacation" set.

If I select "Vacation" under search, it does properly shows ALL my vacation pics. But how do I easily select three of the keywords under vacation without going through all the keywords to find them? Same thing with "people" I'm organizing all my people tagging so I can easily select me, my mother, my wife, etc., but when I go under search, it's an all or nothing situtation.

It sounds like I might be able to do this by renaming "Bob" to "Bob Reynolds" and then putting them under the same parent, right? That would be helpful.

Exactly, rename the keyword "Bob" outside the group of "Bob Reynolds" to "Bob Reynolds" and then drag the second "Bob Reynolds" to the other group. You first will get a warning that some images carry the keyword, then you will be prompted if you want to merge the keywords.

Again, thanks for that - that helps.

It looks like you are using keywords for task that can be done in Aperture with other tools, like "Faces" or "Places" or "Project Names". To find people I search the "Faces", to find vacation pictures I search the locations, events I search by date. Maybe you can shorten your keyword list by looking at the other options.

Possibly. however, I think the reason I started doing that (back in the days that I was on a PC and use Adobe) was that I like to be able to easily find pictures of Me, with my brother and my mother. I don't think you can do that with Faces, can you? I do nee to start playing more with Places. I like flagging separate events.

I'm sitting here organizing keywords as we've been back and forth on this and the Keyword HUD could be perfect - if would only allow me to create a search - not just mess with the keywords.

Would be nice if there was an easier way to assign keywords with the keyboard. Being limited to only 8 keywords at a time (via the option xyz key) along with "," and "." is awkward.

I wish Kirby Krieger would drop in - I remember he once wrote a nice post explaining how to use the textfield in the keyboard controls to assign keywords by typing, but I cannot find this post right now.

But the basic idea is, if you show the keyword controls (shift-D), there is a textfield with the message "add keyword" written into it. If you now start typing the name of a keyword, you will get a drop down list with possible completions and you can pick one of the suggestions to quickly assign the keyword to your selected images.

If you can find the post, that would be great - would love to read it. Again, the problem is ease of use. I hit "shift D", then I need to go to the mouse to click on the "add keyword", then type it and hit return. If I accidentally assign the wrontg keyword, I need to go back to the mouse, click on "meta data", then highlight and delete the keyword I incorrectly assigned.

Overall, the MAIN reason I use something like Aperture is for photo organization and keywording. The editing is a nice to have - but I can use Adobe for that if needed. I'd give up everything it would simply allow me to quickly add my images, assign keywords, and edit.

Thanks again!

HTH

Léonie

Dec 26, 2011 7:42 AM in response to egoldy

It's also annoying that it seems that I need to keep the keyword HUD AND the keyword search windows up all the time.

You should be able to open the keyword hud and do searches directly from it.

So you want a single combined keyword control center -

I use the keywords very differently from you - my keywords workflow in Aperture has three disctinct phases, and in each phase I use different tools to access keywords.

• The initial setup phase: In the beginning I mostly use the Keyword HUD, to define the hierarchical structure of keywords, and afterwords I use it rarely, only when I import images that already have keywords assigned and I need to merge and to fix keywords.
    • The import and tagging phase: When I import images and browse them, I tag them with keywords, assign faces and places. Here I nearly entirely I rely on the keyword controls. I defined several keyword presets for the different genres and of pictures I take, wildlife, landscape, etc. A second set of keyword presets relates to different uses of the images: books, screensavers, web galleries.
    • The production phase: When I create a book or a presentation and need to find images quickly, I use a combination of smart albums and the find panel. The smart albums structure the database according to my most frequent queries, and from those subsets of images I search uses Places, Faces, or the find panel.

Perhaps others will give additional workflow patterns that can help you to find your own best approch to keywords.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 26, 2011 8:13 AM in response to léonie

Leonie,

I think I follow a very similar series of keyword flows - I'd just prefer to see ALL the phases under the same UI. I also think that things in one UI could be very useful in others.

I like the structure of the Keyword HUD - I find the "keyword controls" and the "keyword search" unneeded - if they'd clean some things up. It's organized better, it shows the counts of the photos under each keyword, etc. -- all things that the others do not do.

After our conversation, I"m cleaning up my keywords into some better parent /child structures - I'm hoping that I won't be using the HUD any more after that.

The keyword controls is useful, but I find that only have 8 keyboard shortcuts to be limiting - even if I can use "," and "." to bounce to other sets. It's just as easy of a flow as what I've used in other programs to assign keywords.

And the production phase is all about finding your pictures quickly. Your idea for smart albums is a good idea - again, I just find this the weakest part of the program. If nothing more, just showing the keywords in the same format as the Keyword HUD would be a noticeable improvement (ideally with a count per keyword)..

I'd love to hear from others how they use keywords - as well as Projects. I'm not a professional photographer - just a guy who takes pictures of his family and events. So, I'm less about "projects" and more about "events".

Any thoughts would be great.

Dec 26, 2011 8:13 AM in response to léonie

Leonie,

I think I follow a very similar series of keyword flows - I'd just prefer to see ALL the phases under the same UI. I also think that things in one UI could be very useful in others.

I like the structure of the Keyword HUD - I find the "keyword controls" and the "keyword search" unneeded - if they'd clean some things up. It's organized better, it shows the counts of the photos under each keyword, etc. -- all things that the others do not do.

After our conversation, I"m cleaning up my keywords into some better parent /child structures - I'm hoping that I won't be using the HUD any more after that.

The keyword controls is useful, but I find that only have 8 keyboard shortcuts to be limiting - even if I can use "," and "." to bounce to other sets. It's just as easy of a flow as what I've used in other programs to assign keywords.

And the production phase is all about finding your pictures quickly. Your idea for smart albums is a good idea - again, I just find this the weakest part of the program. If nothing more, just showing the keywords in the same format as the Keyword HUD would be a noticeable improvement (ideally with a count per keyword)..

I'd love to hear from others how they use keywords - as well as Projects. I'm not a professional photographer - just a guy who takes pictures of his family and events. So, I'm less about "projects" and more about "events".

Any thoughts would be great.

Dec 26, 2011 8:35 AM in response to egoldy

Hello Erik,

Possibly. however, I think the reason I started doing that (back in the days that I was on a PC and use Adobe) was that I like to be able to easily find pictures of Me, with my brother and my mother. I don't think you can do that with Faces, can you? I do nee to start playing more with Places. I like flagging separate events.

If you want to find your brother and your mother, (after having assigned faces) you can use the search panel or smart album and add rules that use faces tags:

Add rule: Face is /includes/starts with

Add a rule for each family member and combine these rules with "Any of the following".

Similar can be done with "Places" rules.

Again, the problem is ease of use. I hit "shift D", then I need to go to the mouse to click on the "add keyword", then type it and hit return. If I accidentally assign the wrontg keyword, I need to go back to the mouse, click on "meta data", then highlight and delete the keyword I incorrectly assigned.

Yes, that is tedious. You can remove keywords by erasing the meta tags in the Library Inspector; I rather try to avoid wrong keywords in the first place 😝

Overall, the MAIN reason I use something like Aperture is for photo organization and keywording. The editing is a nice to have - but I can use Adobe for that if needed. I'd give up everything it would simply allow me to quickly add my images, assign keywords, and edit.

I am quite happy with my keyword presets, some of them I assign automatically during import as import preset, others by flagging and batch changing, but let's wait if others have better suggestions for you.

Cheers

Léonie

Keyword Filtering & Search Via Parent Structure In Aperture Is Ugly - Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.