Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not Eligible for Requested Build?

I recieved a new out-of-the-box iPod 4th generation (8gb) for Christmas. I plugged it in and iTunes informed me that there was a new firmware update (5.0.1). I clicked okay to both of the boxes that popped up, and it began extracting the software. Then comes the dreaded error: Not eligable for requested build. This also happened a few days ago with a 4th generation iPhone. Things ive tried:

1.) Restore (Won't do it, same error message)

2.) DFU restore (same as 1)

3.) DFU restore with already downloaded software (same result)

4.) DFU restore with Tiny Umbrella running (not sure it helped)

5.) Computer restart

6.) (iTunes is running the latest software)

7.) Rebooting the iPod itself

I've gotten these messages before: They dont mean anything. (For example, try to downgrade to the last firmware you were on: It will tell you its not eligable. IT essentially means someone, somewhere doesn't want you to change firmwares). Anyone have a workaround to this issue?

Thanks

~Ben Carpenter

iPod touch, On 4.3.5 firmware.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 10:25 AM

2 replies

Dec 25, 2011 10:26 AM in response to benfromshoreview

This device is not eligible for the requested build: Also sometimes displayed as an "error 3194." If you receive this alert, update to the latest version of iTunes. Third-party security software or router security settings can also cause this issue. To resolve this, follow Troubleshooting security software issues.

Downgrading to a previous version of iOS is not supported. If you have installed software to performunauthorized modifications to your iOS device, that software may have redirected connections to the update server (gs.apple.com) within the Hosts file. First you must uninstall the unauthorized modification software from the computer, then edit out the "gs.apple.com" redirect from the hosts file, and then restart the computer for the host file changes to take affect. For steps to edit the Hosts file and allow iTunes to communicate with the update server, see iTunes: Troubleshooting iTunes Store on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or iPod—follow steps under the heading Blocked by configuration (Mac OS X / Windows) > Rebuild network information > The hosts file may also be blocking the iTunes Store. If you do not uninstall the unauthorized modification software prior to editing the hosts file, that software may automatically modify the hosts file again on restart. Also, using an older or modified .ipsw file can cause this issue. Try moving the current .ipsw file, or try restoring in a new user to ensure that iTunes downloads a new .ipsw.

Above from:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

Not Eligible for Requested Build?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.