Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting Display that won't sleep, MDD DP G4

Ever since moving to my G5 Quad last August, I've had my old MDD DP G4 running on its own under Tiger 10.4.11. It's currently attached to a Viewsonic flat LCD monitor. I have the CPU set to never sleep, same as the drives. No matter what setting I use for the Display to go to sleep, the Monitor never sleeps. The Screen Saver promptly kicks in at whatever setting I choose.

The dual CRT monitors did go to sleep when the G4 was attached to them. Nothing else has changed, other than the dual CRTs having been replaced by the (temporary) single Viewsonic LCD monitor.

I've Repaired Permissions and ran Applejack in AUTO mode. Only the Finder is running.

Any suggestions as to what to look at next? Thanks in advance.

Dual bootable, DP MDD 1.25GHz G4 (2004), maxed out at 2GB of RAM; both Spotlight and Dashboard disabled. Photoshop primary scratch disk on dedicated 160GB internal drive; at least 100GB available on each of the four internal drives, up to 300GB on some. Counting external FW drives just over 1TB of drive space available. nVidia GeForce 7800 GS 425MHz 256 MB "mutant" flashed graphics display card. Processor napping enabled through CHUD 3.5.2.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2.5G5Quad,16GB,7800GTX 512MB, Tiger

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 1:47 PM

I think the files that affect this, or could, are...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost /com.apple.preference.displays.<12digitHex#>.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.<12digitHex Number>.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.slideshow.< 12digitHexNumber>.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost /com.apple.windowserver.<12digitHex#>.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/.GlobalPreferences.<12digitHex#>. plist

There may be more than one of each of the above

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preference.desktopscreeneffect .plist

/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktopscreensaver.rsspictures .plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preference.desktopscreeneffect .plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Of course trashing them is best done in Safe Mode & files starting with a period are normally hidden. User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2011 1:47 PM in response to Ramón G Castañeda

I think the files that affect this, or could, are...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost /com.apple.preference.displays.<12digitHex#>.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.<12digitHex Number>.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.slideshow.< 12digitHexNumber>.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost /com.apple.windowserver.<12digitHex#>.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/.GlobalPreferences.<12digitHex#>. plist

There may be more than one of each of the above

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktopscreensaver.rsspictures .plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Of course trashing them is best done in Safe Mode & files starting with a period are normally hidden. User uploaded file

Dec 25, 2011 6:16 PM in response to Ramón G Castañeda

I've been accused a few times of just being here for the points, anybody that has followed my replies after no points were either forthcoming or no longer availabe should belay that thought, & I hate to be anal about the points, but I thing Apple should make it clearer tahat Helpful posts should het a Helpful, Solutions or correct answers should get a solved or Correct Answer, & on that point I've lost maybe 3K points by posters trying to edit/correct their answers & hence marking their own posts as the Correct Answer... I don't blame the posters, it's Apple.

BTW, every year I've been here since coming back in 2006, since getting banned in 1999 or so, (😢), I find that getting any point awards between Cristmas & April 15th about as hard as finding Sabre Chicken Teeth! 😉

Troubleshooting Display that won't sleep, MDD DP G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.