Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phonetic spelling not working for Siri (for other contacts)

Siri pronounces my name correctly. However, it pronounces some of my contacts incorrectly. I've added phonetic spelling for their names, yet Siri still pronounces them as if I didn't. How can I make Siri use them?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1, Verizon 16GB Black

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 2:21 PM

8 replies

Nov 29, 2012 3:18 PM in response to sflomenb

Mine is this way, current iOS on iPhone 4S... but I've noticed it's extremly picky. I described it in my post, but Siri will go back and forth between being able to and unable to pronounce a given name depending on how much info is on the contact card. If I made a new contact for my wife with just the phonetic spelling and her mobile number, it works. If I add anything else to that contact, it doesn't work. If I take that newly added stuff away, it works again.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4553368

Dec 10, 2012 3:57 PM in response to sflomenb

Came to this thread looking for a solution to Siri seeming to ignore my phonetic spellings. After reading around I tried some other commands and found a good example case that works for me: When I ask Siri to "send a message to" then she ignores the phonetic spelling when reading back the full name, however when I ask Siri to "send an email to" then she correctly pronounces the full name phonetically. Hard to imagine that's on purpose...

Update: Submitted to Apple as radar 12850877

Dec 10, 2012 3:52 PM in response to Charles Conway

Charles Conway wrote:

Came to this thread looking for a solution to Siri seeming to ignore my phonetic spellings. After reading around I tried some other commands and found a good example case that works for me: When I ask Siri to "send a message to" then she ignores the phonetic spelling when reading back the full name, however when I ask Siri to "send an email to" then she correctly pronounces the full name phonetically. Hard to imagine that's on purpose...

Wow, that's strange. Same thing with me.

Phonetic spelling not working for Siri (for other contacts)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.