Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built-in iSight in Macbook Pro 4,1 not recognized.

Hi, just noticed iSight stopped working after trying Photo Booth days ago. I used before some months ago, so I cannot say for sure when stopped working. At first looking for in forums and Apple support pages, I tried reseting NVRAM and SMC controller twice and installed a clean OS in a different partition (Snow Leopard), but the problem occurs in Lion 10.7.2 as well.

At boot time, the Console log OS X trying to enumerate a bus but giving up later.

12/25/11 11:53:08.000 AM kernel: USBF: 0.612 [0xffffff800fe53c00] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfd000000)

At boot time, the Console log OS X trying to enumerate a bus but giving up later.

12/25/11 11:53:08.000 AM kernel: USBF: 3.605 [0xffffff800fe53c00] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

System Information/Profiler won't say there is an USB device recognized like sample bellow:

User uploaded file

Previous I had this working as:

User uploaded file

I suspect of a hardware problem but I am not sure if this is iSight component/part or logic board problem (maybe in USB controller). Have anyone seem this before and repaired or had a Mac serviced? I would like to try replacing iSight with a new part in after market before looking for replacing a logic board? Laptop is almost 4 years old so not valid Apple Care anymore. I can try getting both parts but cleared wanted try the iSight first as it costs about $30 plus shiping. Getting a new logic board is a way more expensive as I have to pay import duties to Brazil almost doubling the sale price. AASP probably charges $1800 to repair the laptop, mostly because of the expensive price to import a logic board. Weigthing my options considering machine age and fix costs.

Also, I have no tried running Boot Camp (which I don't have installed) to see if get it to work somehow.

Thanks!

Macbook Pro early 2008, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 3:07 PM

I think your testing and analysis are correct. If Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090 suggestions do not help you ane you are certain that you used the correct SMC "reset" procedure for your particular Mac model, yours is most likely a hardware problem that will require a professional fix. Unless you have a current backup of your important files, make one now. Then use the final "Troubleshooting" suggestion:

"... contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service."

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2011 3:07 PM in response to Rodmont

I think your testing and analysis are correct. If Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090 suggestions do not help you ane you are certain that you used the correct SMC "reset" procedure for your particular Mac model, yours is most likely a hardware problem that will require a professional fix. Unless you have a current backup of your important files, make one now. Then use the final "Troubleshooting" suggestion:

"... contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service."

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Dec 26, 2011 7:51 AM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks Jim, might be ending up taking it to service at later time. Backup is up to date, thanks! Just tested a full restore some days before! Having upgraded disk in the past (about 1 year ago) I intend to use it as main machine for one more year to 18 months from now if I can keep it working. Replacing an iSight is hard work but not to expensive. If full LB replacement needed, I would wait a few more months.

Rgds

Dec 29, 2011 12:59 PM in response to Rodmont

Hi,

A Possible.

There used to be a document on resetting the Firewire ports.

Basically this involves shutting down the computer for 15 minutes with all the firewire devices disconnected.

For Laptops the Power card should also be removed.

The process allows for the numbering process to discharge so that the current numbering is lost.

All devices then get renumbered when they are reconnected.

It has never been that clear as to whether this also works for USB ports.
However it may be worth a try and it does not cost anything.

User uploaded file
8:59 PM Thursday; December 29, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Built-in iSight in Macbook Pro 4,1 not recognized.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.