11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2011 5:05 AM by sookite
sookite Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Hi all.

After working without a problem my iPhoto on the MBP suddenly quit and the application will not open.

I tried, restarting, with option/ command, restoring from Time Machine, repaired the disk, verified the disk but no luck. The restore function says that the programme is irreparably damaged.

I know that all photos are there on the MBP as I can go into system preferences/ desktop/ screen saver and they are all visible.

They are also on Photostream and the iMAc.

I was using iPhoto11, version 9.2.1 (628). Purchased and updated earlier this year.

the question is;

How do I delete the present application and download a replacement?

Any help appreciated.

• sookite Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Further to the above;

I have now deleted IPhoto to trash,  repurchased iPhoto and installed.

Same result.

"Your iPhoto is either in use by another application or unreadable"

I am back at Suqare one.

is there anyone with any other suggestions, please and thanks

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (134,925 points)

Did you delete the receipts before re-installing? Also, there was no need to re-purchase it.

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2a: On 10.5:  Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows:  In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

If you purchased it on the App Store or have a Recent Mac you can find it in your Purchases List.

If that doesn't help:

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.  

Thank you for this long response.  I am on 10.7

Went into receipts after trashing iPhoto but couldn't find any receipts. Have resintalled Bundled apps.

Now when I open I get this message;

You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Do you want to quit and use the latest version of iPhoto, or do you want to create a new photo library?

I quit but don't know where to go now.

Thanks

Update the new install of iPhoto to the latest version.

I updated through Software update

Opened up i Photo;

same message as all day long;

"Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable

Shut down and restart your computer, and then open iPhoto again. If the problem persists, try rebuilding your photo library. To do this, quit iPhoto, and then reopen it while keeping the Option and Command keys pressed. You can also try restoring your photo library from a backup."

I really thought that I was going to get it fixed. But I have tried all the above right at the start of this frsutrating day.

Thanks for the help so far.

Try the rebuild with iPhoto Library Manager - see above.

Tried, same response as last time.

"This library cannot be rebuilt. The album data file for this library could not be found.  Opening this library in iPhoto will cause the album data file to be created."

In that case:

Try restore from your back up

If that doesn't work then you'll need to recover the files from the damaged iphoto Library and start over from scratch.

Regards

TD

from the very first post;

"I tried, restarting, with option/ command, restoring from Time Machine, repaired the disk, verified the disk but no luck. The restore function says that the programme is irreparably damaged."

I have them all backed up on Time Machine and cannot get them restored. I tried it many hours ago.

I have no i Photo application, that's the bottom line.

How do I get the photos from the damaged iphoto library if it will not open the application and I have tried all the Option/command boxes?

Reloaded the application three times and it still will not open.

I seem to have lost all these valuable photos in spite of taking every precaution with backing up every hour.

What a loust Christmas present.

1. You may have incorrectly restored from Time machine. I would post on the Using Mac OS X forum for help with that.

2. To create and populate a new library:

Note this will give you a working library with the same Events and pictures as before, however, you will lose your albums, keywords, modified versions, books, calendars etc.

Move the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder to the desktop

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library' Now you will see a new blank iPhoto Window

Go into the iPhoto Library on the desktop. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Find the Masters folder. From there drag the individual Event Folders to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

Regards

TD

I have the iphoto libaray on Desktop. Show package cntents, found the Masters folder. Unfortunately no Individual Event folders in there.

Also when holding down the option key and launching iPhoto I did not get a Create Library field. I got a box saying "which Libaray do you want to use; iPhoto or iPhoto default. and then  Choose or Save"

I tried both but nothing seems to have happened.

Thanks again