Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new i pad 2 does not have sim card slot, why, new i pad 2 does not have sim card slot, why, new i pad 2 does not have sim card slot, why, new i pad 2 does not have sim card slot, why

I WAS GIVEN AN I PAD 2 FOR CHRISTMAS, AND A SEPERATE 3G MICRO SIM FROM ANOTHER SOURCE, BUT MY IPAD DOES NOT HAVE A SIM CARD SLOT...WHY

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:35 AM

If you are sure that the iPad is a 3G iPad, you have a Verizon iPad which does not use a sim card. AT&T iPads use the sim card.

5 replies

Dec 26, 2011 8:58 AM in response to wmcg

You cannot use a sim card on the iPad that you have - you have to exchange it for an AT&T iPad if you want to use the sim card that you got. It's that simple.

The Verizon iPad will still work like the AT&T iPad and will connect to a cellular network which will let you use the iPad when you do not have access to WiFi, but it is not as universally accepted as the AT&T version. The Verizon model works in the U.S. and just a couple of other countries right now - as far as I know. The AT&T iPad can be used in a lot of other countries - as long as you buy a sim card to use in that country.

Dec 26, 2011 9:44 AM in response to wmcg

There are three kinds of iPads - beyond the whole size of harddrive thing:

Wifi only - no SIM slot

Verizon 3G iPads - no SIM slot

AT&T 3G iPads - with a SIM slot.

You have one of the first two options and your SIM card is useless with your iPad. The only way you will be able to use that SIM card is if you purchase the AT&T equivalent of a Mifi hotspot, a portable wifi hotspot. Use that to create a wifi hotspot that you use the wifi on the iPad to connect to 3G.

new i pad 2 does not have sim card slot, why, new i pad 2 does not have sim card slot, why, new i pad 2 does not have sim card slot, why, new i pad 2 does not have sim card slot, why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.