Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flac Please !

What a killer app iTunes Match COULD be if only it accepted Flac as well ????

It would become a ' sponge ' for audiophiles and casual listeners the world over if it did !!

~M~

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 17inch 2.8ghz i7 8gb RAM

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 10:14 AM

10 replies

Dec 26, 2011 2:56 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

????

Unfortunately I have 500gb + of 2 channel and 5.1 channel Flacs already ripped and dont see the need to go there again when its possible to add Flac support quite easily . I was not implying that it would not support ALAC merely that Apple would acquire many , many more users by merely adding Flac support . It would be good business for them and a brilliant for anyone who already has a ( Flac based ) Nas solution .

~M~

Dec 26, 2011 3:51 PM in response to 1magine

I won't happen - if anything else, open-sourcing ALAC is a smart move on Apple's part to set the foundation to make ALAC a lossless standard. I personally don't care if an open-sourced ALAC or FLAC dominates, as long as we have a standard that's supported on most devices in the future.

At least with FLAC to ALAC conversions it's lossless to lossless. 🙂

Dec 26, 2011 4:56 PM in response to Community User

Just been reading some Apple support documents on iTunes match . . .

"Songs encoded as ALAC, WAV, or AIFF, will be transcoded in iTunes to 256 kbps AAC when uploaded to iCloud."

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4054

Wonder if this hasn't in some case, been what's going on when people think the whole upload process is dragging.

Message was edited by: JiminMissouri

Dec 27, 2011 2:10 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

I agree. If one is talking FLAC support in iTunes Match, clearly Apple's not interested in heading that way. The best I think you could ever hope for is that they'd support FLAC playback in iTunes, but if you wanted to upload it, it'd suffer the same fate as ALAC, WAF and AIFF - it'd be converted to AAC and that's what would be uploaded.

Dec 27, 2011 4:01 PM in response to JiminMissouri

For myself, I wouldn't mind if FLAC files were treated the same as ALAC and uploaded as 256 Kbps AAC files. I don't necessarily want to load the lossless files onto my iPhone, since they do take up so more room than the lossy files. The advantage of iTunes Match and ALAC files, to me, is that I get to have the best of both worlds: I have the lossless files for playing on my home stereo system, and I have the lossy files for playing on my iDevice without having to keep duplicate copies of everything in my iTunes library which can be cumbersome.

But since nugs.net and their associated online stores have started supporting ALAC within the past year it really isn't all that necessary for me that iTunes should support FLAC playback, although it would be nice.

Dec 28, 2011 3:44 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Flac in iTunes would be nice . I could automate the lossy conversion for Match and organise my home playback via iTunes . I plan to get a HDI Dune unit which can play back almost all available formats and use dbPoweramp to convert my Dvd-Audio discs to 2.0/5.1 Flac files for serving .

Ive purchased a Macbook Pro , iPad1/2 and an iPhone4S over the last year or more and would love to serve music and movies from an Apple solution but it simply isnt as comprehensive as I would prefer for my needs .

Maybe some day though ??

~M~

Flac Please !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.