Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frozen MacBook

My MacBook froze. I shut it down & restarted it but only got the ? icon on start up. No. Help!w I get nothing but a blank screen on start up

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:15 AM

24 replies

Dec 26, 2011 2:51 PM in response to DAYALA

OK...my Macbook5,1 started doing this about 2 days ago. Was playing a game and it froze. Had to do a hard reset and was fine. Yesterday it froze 3 times when I was doing normal tasks, twice I got the warning on the screen to "You must restart your computer, hold the power button". It happened once when I was playing World of Warcraft and once just a little while ago when I was browsing web (firefox) and using itunes. Not sure what's going on.

Dec 28, 2011 4:30 PM in response to DAYALA

any chance you have a friend or relative that has a mac ? If so you could put your mac into target mode by holding down "T" while turning it on and wait for the firewire symbol to appear - then connect it to the friends mac - it should then show up as a hard drive on their mac - and you could then launch the disk utility on their mac and have it review your disk to see if it detects any errors on the hard drive - you could also have it repair premissions for good measure - then hopefully after all is done - eject the disk that represents your computers hard drive - then power it down wait a min and power on to see if it will boot properly - let me know - otherwise - if it will not boot to safe mode - your going to have to swing by local apple store or authorized repair center ( preferably the apple store ) to get them to help you since you dont have the disk that came with the system -

Side thought - if any of your friends have a full ( not the type that come with the mac ) but the dics you buy form the store of any OS like Leopard/ Snow Leopard / etc... - if anyone arond you has one - you can insert it and hold down the C key to see if it will boot to the disc - and if it does then you can access the disk utility and do what I mentioned above - and then set teh startup disk and have it restart to your intenal hard drive - I hope you can get it working - please let me know

Dec 29, 2011 7:42 PM in response to DAYALA

do the steps you already did until you get to the OS instal window - then look up at the top of the screen - you will see Utilities up there - select it - choose disk utility and run repair disk and then repair permissions on your hard drive - - it should see the hard drive once you go into the disk utlity - please let me know if that helps - after it repairs it for both methods - for permissions and disk - then go back under the utilities drop down where you found disk utility and choose the select start up disk - option - it should then show you your choices of start up disk and select your hard drive and it should restart to it - and finally get you back going - this should work as long as it can repair your hard drive - then I would save any data to an external hard drive that you need to salvage or clone the hard drive to an external hard drive - using carbon copy cloner - its a free download - then id recommend getting a new hard drive to replace your current one - it sounds like its going out on you - how long have you had that hard drive running in that mac ?

Frozen MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.