Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Freezes

Hello Everyone,

As of a few days ago my Macbook has been randomly freezing while performing normal tasks and twice during games. The first time it happened I was playing Age of Empires 3. I played for a good 30 mins while running "smcFanControl" so that my laptop does not overheat. I had to perform a hard restart by holding thr power button down. When the computer restarted I didn't have any indications of errors, etc. Now, the second time this happened was Friday while I was playing World of Warcraft, again I was using the same app to keep my computer cool. I have played this game for ages now and very seldom did I have my system freeze on me; funny thing is this was my first time playing in months. I did have to update the game so I'm not sure if there's anything involved there that might be causing this crashes. Yesterday, I was simply browsing the web and performing normal things when the laptop froze twice. Twice I had the screen that said "You must restart your computer by holding thr power button" kernel panic, I think? A little while after I restarted it froze again while opening firefox so I had to restart AGAIN. Now today, I had already once freeze while watching a video in youtube and running iTunes in the background.

The only modification I have done so far is to upgrade RAM to 8GB. This happened about a month ago and since I installed the memory I have not had any kind of crashes up until two days ago. Is anyone else having the same, or similar problems? Here are a few specs in case it helps:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

Serial Number (system): W8906DBX1AX

Hardware UUID: 6A434A66-1C56-52A8-9CE2-BA84E3B887C3

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Thanks so much guys, any help that can help resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Macbook5,1 - 13", 8gb ram, 2.4ghz

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 3:02 PM

There are no replies.

Random Freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.