Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot view my serial number? HELPPP ...

look at the picture it says "Serial number system serial#"? y is that ?User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 5:29 PM

10 replies

Jan 9, 2012 11:46 PM in response to Eric Spire

Yeah - That is a Mid 2007 Laptop with only 256 MB of Video Ram. It is the absolute oldest model supported by LION, and because of that, I would expect similar problems to those experienced by iPhone 3G users when iOS 4 came out. Super slow performance. All the new features running even slower. Many applications will crash, and you need to go through all of your apps and get rid of the ones that are not kind: Apllication (Intel). Most of the software you have on the 2007 laptop could be just ported to intel, barely universal, or simply out of date.

Unless you were able to do a Clean/FRESH install of LION, then the Library & System folders are polluted with thousands of droppings not used by LION, but possibly loading and bogging the system down.

Why is your serial number so important anyhow? It is DEFINITELY printed on the laptop case. It is on a piece of the case that can only be removed by literally destroying the case.... The only other possibility would be that it is a hackintosh, in which case there is no serial number.

Jan 10, 2012 3:24 AM in response to fredyfromgarland

The serial number is not engraved. It is on a stick on label that is located by the battery connector.

There appear to be screws where the label should be located. That suggests the label was removed to allow disassembly to replace the logic board and was not replaced after the installation.

Replaced logic boards sometimes do not have the serial number written into them due to lazy technicians.

Jan 10, 2012 4:06 AM in response to Andrew Wolczyk

Agreed!

Logic Board is a frequent fail-er in iMac's, mini's, and Laptop's - as they seem to be particularly affected by heat. That said, and not knowing where she bought it, the missing tag could just as easily be because it is stolen.

My wife has the 17" Model with the same processor, etc. Open the battery up, and the placard is right there, towards the front of the machine.

You choose - Logic Board replaced with no Serial Number Hard coded? Self Repair Logic Board. Removed and Serial Hacked for a reason.

But again - why do you even need the serial number? For the person with the new i7 machine, I get it. (Did you buy it through the Apple Discount Store - Refurbished?) But for the 2007 machine - the serial number means nothing. It is way out of warranty, would cost more to fix than eBay a replacement... and any fix is going to be followed by the next failure - probably the hard drive.

Sadly, I have seen these same laptops in China for a Few Hundred Dollars. They are eaither fakes with real cases, total fakes, or legal fakes. In China, Legal Fakes are products sold out of the assembly plant, are the real thing, and mostly available to only Chinese, or in the case of parts, to other manufacturers. There are plenty of cheasy fakes too. Sadly, the sellers usually have no idea how fake they look. I've been offered "Real iPhone" that accepts 4 SIM chips. In china, SIM chips are cheap and disposable, and phones are made to have them swapped in and out regularly. Probably equals about $0.01 for $1.00 we are charged in the states.

Cannot view my serial number? HELPPP ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.