Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which router for WDS?

I have an old netgear 11g router which is working OK with a mixed windows/Mac network, but there are a few dead spots. I tried to recofigure an airport express unit as a wireless extender, but I learned (from this forum) that my netgear router doesn't have WDS capability and so will not work with the express. I am ready to replace my router and maybe a newer router will improve my wireless coverage, but I'd like the option to use the airport express. Is WDS a feature of all new routers or do I have to look for it? I'm leaning towards linksys or d-link. I need at least three ports plus wireless.
Thanks for any advice.

powerbook G4 17, Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Feb 11, 2006 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2006 10:34 PM

If you want to set up a WDS, my suggestion is that you use an Airport Extreme Base Station as your wireless network's main base station. You will save yourself a lot of potential setup problems, since Apple's Airport Setup Assistant greatly simplifies the configuration process for you. The Airport Extreme Base Station has only a single built in ethernet LAN port, but you can easily link that single port to as many additional ports as you require with the use of a low-cost ethernet switch.

There are only three or four specific non-Apple wireless router models on the market that support Apple's implementation of a WDS - WDS is implemented differently by each manufacturer (and is not a standard WiFi protocol). The most popular of those few available models is the Linksys WRT54G, and detailed instructions for using it in an Apple WDS are available both here and elsewhere on the internet. As for D-Link - none of their wireless router products support Apple's WDS implementation.

You may find that a new model wireless router will solve your existing wireless range problems all by itself, without having to resort to setting up a WDS with your Airport Express. If that happens to be the case, then it really doesn't matter what wireless router model you buy - since the Airport Express could be used in client mode with any make/model of wireless router.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2006 10:34 PM in response to Mark Chambers1

If you want to set up a WDS, my suggestion is that you use an Airport Extreme Base Station as your wireless network's main base station. You will save yourself a lot of potential setup problems, since Apple's Airport Setup Assistant greatly simplifies the configuration process for you. The Airport Extreme Base Station has only a single built in ethernet LAN port, but you can easily link that single port to as many additional ports as you require with the use of a low-cost ethernet switch.

There are only three or four specific non-Apple wireless router models on the market that support Apple's implementation of a WDS - WDS is implemented differently by each manufacturer (and is not a standard WiFi protocol). The most popular of those few available models is the Linksys WRT54G, and detailed instructions for using it in an Apple WDS are available both here and elsewhere on the internet. As for D-Link - none of their wireless router products support Apple's WDS implementation.

You may find that a new model wireless router will solve your existing wireless range problems all by itself, without having to resort to setting up a WDS with your Airport Express. If that happens to be the case, then it really doesn't matter what wireless router model you buy - since the Airport Express could be used in client mode with any make/model of wireless router.

which router for WDS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.