Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I fix my network problems?

Recently, I've been having some network problems. To be a little more detailed, I'll start from what usually happens.

Every now and then, my network connection will stop responding, or lag quite a bit. Sometimes when I'm playing World of Warcraft, I'm playing in a dungeon and suddenly I experience this sudden lag in the connection. Everything I do is delayed and the connection speed between my computer and the WoW servers suddenly spikes. After having to quit the game, I try to go on the internet and I can't do anything because it takes incredibly long and most of the time I don't get anywhere near the website I typed in--including google.

However, after I restart my Mac, the network connection works again! What is going on? It's been happening pretty much most days at some time of the day. I've been trying to tackle the problem with diagnostics and going into the preferences to see if there's something wrong, but I'm not sure. Do you guys have any particular recommendations to avoid this?

If not, I guess I'll just have to continue to restart my Mac every time it happens..

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 6:44 PM

With internet connections it's a daisy chain. you have your computer and who ever your connecting. ethernet or wifi. Then router and or modem. any can lag or drop a connection. When it's a router or modem unplugging them for a few seconds resets them. When you restart your computer you are kind of doing that. I've been told by my internet provider to do just that. Then you have your internet provider themselves that can have slowdowns during certain times of the day not to mention a server you might be playing an online game through. You can also have an internet line coming into you house that is getting bad. I've gone through this. Done multiple bandwidth tests replaced modems and had the line to the house replaced. It's kind of process of elimination.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2011 6:44 PM in response to Nalsur10

With internet connections it's a daisy chain. you have your computer and who ever your connecting. ethernet or wifi. Then router and or modem. any can lag or drop a connection. When it's a router or modem unplugging them for a few seconds resets them. When you restart your computer you are kind of doing that. I've been told by my internet provider to do just that. Then you have your internet provider themselves that can have slowdowns during certain times of the day not to mention a server you might be playing an online game through. You can also have an internet line coming into you house that is getting bad. I've gone through this. Done multiple bandwidth tests replaced modems and had the line to the house replaced. It's kind of process of elimination.

Dec 26, 2011 7:22 PM in response to my ginger

Thank you Ginger. I suppose that's all that's left for now. I guess it'll be process of elimination for now.

I did some research as well and found this http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/06/lion-wi-fi-problems-solution-mac/ , I tried it, and we shall see if the problems continue. Next up, I'll have to reset the router manually and see how that works out. Meanwhile, I'll just wait for the next network problem.

Happy Holidays!

How can I fix my network problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.