Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my user library folder has disappeared. Help?

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:52 PM

11 replies

Dec 26, 2011 9:14 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I've been using apple exclusively since 1988. I have been feeling apple becoming what microsoft used to be: a controlling behemoth that told you what to do and how to do it.

I recently upgraded to an iphone 4s, and gave it back in 3 days in favor of staying with android. iOS doesn't allow me to put direct dial shortcuts on my homescreen for crissakes......

You are apparently correct, Apple has determined that it's customers have become too dumb and can't be trusted to go any deeper into the OS than the finder's first level......

Dec 26, 2011 10:43 PM in response to gmermel

You can make it a bit easier to get into that Library folder whenever you want.

With it open, and with the Sidebar showing in its window, drag the small icon of a folder (the one sitting just to the left of the word "Library" in the window's titlebar) into the Favorites area of the Sidebar.

It should then stay there and be available for selection from any Finder (folder) window whose Sidebar is showing.

Dec 27, 2011 4:58 AM in response to Don Archibald

I have moved the folder to the favorites as you suggest. But ya know what fries me: I spotlighted "library" as well as .plist, address book, opera bookmarks, etc. Anything I knew would be in the folder.

Apple even hid the folder and contents from spotlight. The best I got was the system library. And a plethora of bookmarks located in my freaking BOOTCAMP partition.

I swear I wasn't a terminal geek. Just a guy who learned how to rebuild from crashes of the system. This is a window into apple's evolution. Once we developed opposable thumbs they never went away. I see this as them adding to their user friendly capabilities while giving up valuable characteristics.......

Sorry for the rant. After my iphone surprise this is too much, too quick.

my user library folder has disappeared. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.