Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine restore gave me huge hard drive

I was having problems with something i was trying to do and decided to start fresh and redownload everything i needed to. I started the project a day ago, so i went into time machine and restored macintosh HD to yesterday morning. everything went fine, and was back to how i remembered it, but now my hard drive is 429gb/500gb full. (Saying it is double seems about right). So clearly when i restored it kept the one i had on there when i restored. How do i delete that macintosh HD? I want to keep the one that i restored from (from yesterday), and delete the the current one i had before restoring. When i go to macintosh hd in finder it is the one from yesterday btw. Thanks in advance i need to transfer 80gb of movies to it and dont have enough room thats why i noticed it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 21.5 inch. October 2009 version

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 10:39 PM

Alex403 wrote:

. . .

i went into time machine and restored macintosh HD to yesterday morning. everything went fine, and was back to how i remembered it, but now my hard drive is 429gb/500gb full. (Saying it is double seems about right).

That's not how you do a full system restore (but Apple doesn't make that clear). What you restored got put in a folder in your hidden /Volumes folder.

To do a full system restore, see #14 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions. That will erase everything on your HD, then restore everything from the backup you select.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2011 10:39 PM in response to Alex403

Alex403 wrote:

. . .

i went into time machine and restored macintosh HD to yesterday morning. everything went fine, and was back to how i remembered it, but now my hard drive is 429gb/500gb full. (Saying it is double seems about right).

That's not how you do a full system restore (but Apple doesn't make that clear). What you restored got put in a folder in your hidden /Volumes folder.

To do a full system restore, see #14 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions. That will erase everything on your HD, then restore everything from the backup you select.

Time Machine restore gave me huge hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.