Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 has trouble syncing over WiFi

I seem to have a lot of trouble getting my iPhone 4 to sync over WiFi. I try initiating it from within iTunes but it will sit at "waiting for sync to start" for a long time. Sometimes, after several minutes, it will start but sometimes it never starts.

I also have an iPad 2 and I never have trouble syncing it over WiFi. So I don't think it's my computer or my wireless connection.

I can sync the iPhone 4 fine with the cable.

I'm running the latest OSs on every device (iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2, and OS X 10.7.2 on my 13" MacBook Pro).

My router is a Airport Extreme.

13" MacBook Pro, 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 4:26 AM

5 replies

May 24, 2012 8:04 AM in response to Michael Napier

Has anybody been able to resolve this issue? I am also having the same issues descibed.

I have not been able to sync my iphone 4 wirelessly on my current wifi network which is a duel band Airport Extreme. I have gone so far as to separate the 5ghz and 2.4ghz channels knowing the iPhone 4 does not work on the 5ghz channel (only the iPhone 4s will). The iphone will not sync whether my Macbook Pro is on the 2.4ghz network or the 5ghz network with the Airport Extreme.

I also have an iPad 2 though it never has had a problem syncing regardless which channel the MBP is on. The Apple iOS app Remote will not work on the iPhone but will work on my iPad.

To make matters more confusing I've take my laptop and devices to work which only has Linksys routers running a 2.4ghz network. The iPhone syncs with no issue and the app Remote work perfectly fine.

This then seems like it is an error with the Airport Extreme but I am still at a loss. I hope I've added some insight into your origional problem Michael...and I'm secretely wishing you have already found a solution.

iPhone 4 has trouble syncing over WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.