Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ssd for imac, does it worth?

i know that ssd is a newer technology than magnetic disks. some of them have serious problems. as you now new imacs are closed box.it is very hard to replace the disk. so i am afraid to change configuration. do you suggest to add a ssd as second drive? now i have 1 tb. is it better to add second 1 tb as raid 1 so i get 2x read speed and redundancy? in fact redundancy is not so important for me because i use time machine. 1 hour data lost is not critical for me. but if there is problem on os disk i have to put my imac to technical service and having new disk to replace will take 1 week, so i will be rid of my computer.

do you have any problem with your ssd?

is it possible to use ssd on thunderbolt?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), imac 27'' i7

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 5:01 AM

1 reply

Dec 27, 2011 6:04 AM in response to atmuc

I wouldn't get SSD if I have sensitive data that is personal and identifying who you are. There is no way to completely erase an SSD with present technology, posing security risk for disposal.

And yes it is possible to use SSD via Thunderbolt. There are some Thunderbolt hard drive cases that can take any drive you throw at them that have the appropriate peripheral port inside.

ssd for imac, does it worth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.